Thoughts on TDK Ending

Christopher Nolan's 2008 mega success about Batman's attempts to defeat a criminal mastermind known only as the Joker.
So I re-watched The Dark Knight again, and the final climax is so intense. Two-Face shooting Batman, then forcing Gordon to comfort his child before Two Face attempts to kill him is just brutal.
Then Batman tackles him and Two Face dies.

Then Batman starts talking to Gordon, here's where it gets weird.
The final scene with Gordon's narration, while brilliant and apt to end the movie, just feels so out of place.
It feels really out-of-place... I can't place my finger on it.
The narration and writing is all incredible, but I don't know how to describe it...

The fact the movie ends with narration feels foriegn, and worse, ruins the realistic worldy tone set by the two hours beforehand.

Who is Gordon talking to? Is he thinking or writing a diary, or merely narrating to serve a purpose?

Thoughts?

He's talking to Batman when he says "They'll hunt you". After Batman says "Sometimes people deserve to have their faith rewarded", he's talking to his son for the rest of the narration.

BlairCo wrote:He's talking to Batman when he says "They'll hunt you". After Batman says "Sometimes people deserve to have their faith rewarded", he's talking to his son for the rest of the narration.
Exactly. He's talking to his son during this whole narration sequence where it shows him destroying the Batman symbol and Batman running off to the Bat-pod. I don't have a problem with it, particularly because his son, who just witnessed all that just went down asks his dad, "Why's he running," and "But he didn't do anything wrong."

Yeah, he's talking to his son. Nolan's dialogue is very operatic and lives little to the imagination. Like in a musical, characters often speak what is on their mind in very clear terms. They say rather than they show. It can be seen as a weakness, and I see why some criticize it. It simplifies analysis of characters and can make them less interesting, but it also can deepen the emotion of a viewer by not having to dissect every little line.

An alternative ending could have been something like this:

B: "The Joker cannot win. Tell them I killed those people."
G: Looks sad "I understand. I'll hold off the squad for two minutes."
Batman runs off, and mounts the Bat Pod.

Of course, the emotions conveyed by the actors and much, much better dialogue written by a professional would have you wondering what happened, why, and curious as to what happens next. Instead, Gordon and Batman spell out everything, and you know exactly what happened and their motivation.

Yeah he is talking to his son telling him everything. I had liked the movie including the climax.

Deliberately leaving out important details in an ending to create false ambiguity is not respectable.

The Dark Knight gives enough information to give the viewer closure, while setting up a sequel.