Joss Whedon's Comments on TDK

Christopher Nolan's 2008 mega success about Batman's attempts to defeat a criminal mastermind known only as the Joker.

The phone concept is a manifestation of Batman's constant struggle with realizing what concessions he feels he's forced to make throughout the film, from dropping Maroni to physically torturing an unarmed Joker in a jail cell. This isn't a matter of opinion, the cell phone plot is an essential element of the entire point of the film from an objective, analytic standpoint.

- Vader
If you're just making a counterpoint to dafox, fine. But if you think Wayne's story arc in TDK lasts just one scene, then god help you.
- Teddy
"When art imitates life"

I never said Wayne's arc was only one scene, I said that the sonar scene was.

SilverHeart wrote:I never said Wayne's arc was only one scene, I said that the sonar scene was.
Read Vader's post again. My whole argument has been that Batman's character/actions in TDK are more compelling than Dent's and Gordon's and equal if not greater than the Joker's
"When art imitates life"

Using the sonar scene as an example of it, but I was saying the sonar scene barely played into the film and wasn't particularly strong evidence to indicate such.

Also, did Vulture ever do a screentime comparison for TDK like they did for Avengers? I'll check...

SilverHeart wrote:Using the sonar scene as an example of it, but I was saying the sonar scene barely played into the film and wasn't particularly strong evidence to indicate such.
Just to clarify. Indicate what?

Im under the impression that you didn't understand Vader's post at all
"When art imitates life"

You're probably right. Given the craziness of the thread at the time, odds are I missed something. I'll go back and reread the thread again.

TDK Plot Debates is too unclear of a title. I would've named it Joss Whedon's Comments on TDK. This whole debate started from Whedon's stupid fucking statement.

Reminder for those joining the thread, how this debate started:
“The Dark Knight,” for me, has the same problem that every other “Batman” movie has. It’s not about Batman. I think Heath Ledger is just phenomenal and the character of the Joker is beautifully written. He has a particular philosophy that he carries throughout the movie. He has one of the best bad guy schemes. Bad guy schemes are actually very hard to come up with. I love his movie, but I always feel like Batman gets short shrift. In “Batman Begins,” the pathological, unbalanced, needy, scary person in the movie is Batman. That’s what every “Batman” movie should be.
-Whedon

Read my post again. It plays into the film in an extraordinarily significant way, every major theme throughout the veins of the film culminate in that moment, making it amongst the most important elements of the film, displaying huge insight in Batman's character (and development throughout the narrative-something many of you are missing) and his willingness to impose his own notions of morality on a society he doesn't officially arbitrate as That's huge. Bruce's journey is intellectual and moral, demanding a thoughtful examination of any moral complications the viewer faces throughout the film, and it becomes an emotional one through his sacrifices- ones far greater than Harvey Dent's.

The difference is Batman can take it, Harvey can't.

-Vader

I've wasted enough time arguing this with three different people (Allstar, Joeyjoe, and SilverHeart). I vow to not post on the matter anymore for my own sake. Read carefully
"When art imitates life"