How Original Is The Dark Knight?

Christopher Nolan's 2008 mega success about Batman's attempts to defeat a criminal mastermind known only as the Joker.
I found a lot of similarities between Dark Knight and Batman Begins. You could even say that Dark Knight was a rip-off of Batman Begins. These are the things that happened in both movies:

* The villains interrupt a party

* In the climactic end fight the villain pins Batman to the ground, then Batman unexpectedly turns it around and throws them from a high place

* Rachel Dawes explains she can't be with Bruce because he's Batman

* Bruce Wayne travels to Asia

* Both films employ ridiculous far-out there technologies (Sonar machine vs. Microwave emitter)

* Both third acts involve a lot of chaos and SWAT guys sticking explosives to walls and blowing them apart

* Both third acts involve a lot of prisoners in orange uniforms

* Both third acts involve public transportation (Ferries vs. Trains)

* Both have a car chase

* Both villains have similar objectives - Ras Al Ghul: Watch Gotham's citizens tear each other apart through fear.
Joker: Watch these civilized people eat each other.

* Both male district attorneys die (Dent vs. Finch)

So many great Batman stories in the comics and this is all Nolan can do? Feel free to add any similarities I missed...

This is just my opinion (no offense whatsoever intended):

There are a bunch of similarities, but I think that's to be utterly expected because a) the same crew worked on both films and particularly b) they're of the same series. Some of the similarities you point out, I think, are not really significant towards wondering how original TDK is because they're just trivial:

* The villains interrupt a party

* In the climactic end fight the villain pins Batman to the ground, then Batman unexpectedly turns it around and throws them from a high place

* Rachel Dawes explains she can't be with Bruce because he's Batman

* Bruce Wayne travels to Asia

* Both have a car chase

* Both villains have similar objectives - Ras Al Ghul: Watch Gotham's citizens tear each other apart through fear.
Joker: Watch these civilized people eat each other.

Both films are Batman, so the similarities are abound, something that I think would be stupid and impossible to avoid. Also, many of these are a part of every other action movie.

apw
So to summarise your post...

Both are Batman films.

Oh my God! How can you NOT say The Dark Knight was a rip-off? Have you seen peteagassi's undeniable proof!

Maybe both movies has some things in common (for me, just trivials), but boths talks about very different thinks.

Peteagassi, what's your problem exactly? :D I'm surprised you didn't mention that both films have a lot of similar characters and actors, like Christian Bale plays in both films, just like Michael Caine, Gary Oldman and Cillian Murphy. Wow, it's really a shameless rip-off. (no, it isn't a sequel to a movie, it's a ripoff)

Both are on Earth

Both are made by WB bla bla lol

I want my 30 seconds back. :lol:

"Both films are Batman, so the similarities are abound, something that I think would be stupid and impossible to avoid. Also, many of these are a part of every other action movie."

This has to be the weakest and lamest excuse for these films being similar. Batman (1989), Batman Returns, Batman Forever, and Batman and Robin are also Batman films, and they had very little similarities to either Dark Knight and Batman Begins. Just because it is Batman means every movie should have the same scenes? This makes no sense.

This is like saying Schindler's List and Hustle and Flow should be similar because they are both dramas. Makes no sense!!! Just because a movie is a sequel does not mean you can rip from the previous movie. Batman has been around for 70 years+. There are numerous stories that are unique and different. I'll wait for Batman 3...maybe Nolan will finally do something unique and fresh. I liked both Begins and Knight - don't get me wrong - I just think there is more to Batman than explosions and public transportation.

'"Both films are Batman, so the similarities are abound, something that I think would be stupid and impossible to avoid. Also, many of these are a part of every other action movie."'

'"This has to be the weakest and lamest excuse for these films being similar. "'

This was my nice way of basically saying what rbevanx rather bluntly stated haha.

peteagassi, please keep your troll threads to iMDB and elsewhere.