The Dark Knight: MPAA Mystery

Christopher Nolan's 2008 mega success about Batman's attempts to defeat a criminal mastermind known only as the Joker.
Hello all. I recently posted an article on The Dark Knight on my blog. You can find the article at:

http://thekingbulletin.blogspot.com/200 ... stery.html

The article discusses the impact the PG-13 rating had on the film. Ever since I saw it for the first time, I couldn't help wondering if Nolan could've made a better film if he had the freedom of an R-rating. I of course don't have the answer, but I am interested to see if you think the PG-13 rating was a good thing or a bad thing.

I don't think it's a bad thing, I mean I never would've saw it if it was rated R.

One thing, unless R-Rated films start hauling in Titanic money overnight, an R-Rated Batman is NEVER going to happen.

I think The Dark Knight proves that you don't need an R-Rating to create dark and disturbing atmosphere. Sure, it was really flirting with an R-Rating, but Nolan filmed it just right to stay within the PG-13 rating. Many films nowadays rely on gore and excessive violence to shock audiences, but it rarely works because there's been no attempt to set up the atmosphere to give it impact and meaning.

Would it have been better with an R-Rating? I don't think so. Adding more gore and violence wouldn't make it more memorable. The violence in The Dark Knight was used as a statement. If used in excess, it looses it's meaning and purpose. Check out the recent Joker graphic novel where there's a ton of gore and violence, in essence, everything that The Dark Knight could have done with an R-Rating, but I felt that it actually took away from and cheapened the characters.

Eternalist: I concede the fact that this was a blockbuster film and was PG-13 all the way. I address that in the article, particularly pointing to Watchmen as an example of how R-rated blockbusters really get hurt at the box-office. This article is strictly from a hypothetical standpoint.

thekingbulletin wrote:Eternalist: I concede the fact that this was a blockbuster film and was PG-13 all the way. I address that in the article, particularly pointing to Watchmen as an example of how R-rated blockbusters really get hurt at the box-office. This article is strictly from a hypothetical standpoint.
I know. I was making that point as more of a statement to the people on various message boards over the internet who beg for an R-Rated Batman. Not really towards you or you're article.

Eternalist: Got it. Thanks for the input.

thekingbulletin wrote:Eternalist: Got it. Thanks for the input.
No problem :thumbup: