Has anyone read the graphic novel Joker by Brian Azzarello?

Christopher Nolan's 2008 mega success about Batman's attempts to defeat a criminal mastermind known only as the Joker.
Reason why I ask is because the depiction of the Joker in this novel reminds me so much of Ledger's Joker.
Also, the story is original and the artwork in it is amazing!

Yeah I have read it and I also own it. I think it goes far more darker than the Nolan film and there is also a good part where you see him breakdown and crying to someone. The ending is very fitting to the story as well.

On another the note it features other vilans that could also work in a Nolan film, even Killer Croc.

rbevanx wrote:Yeah I have read it and I also own it. I think it goes far more darker than the Nolan film and there is also a good part where you see him breakdown and crying to someone. The ending is very fitting to the story as well.

On another the note it features other vilans that could also work in a Nolan film, even Killer Croc.

I own it too and I absolutely loved it! I also loved how we got to see an emotional side of the Joker and we also see just how deep the relationship Joker has with Harley Quinn even though Harley doesn't say anything at all. If there was one thing I could change about the book, I would have given Harley a bigger part.

I sort of like to think of this book as a sequel to The Killing Joke by Alan Moore. And it can also be seen as a sort of follow story on the Joker after the events that occurred in TDK.

akv1984 wrote:
rbevanx wrote:Yeah I have read it and I also own it. I think it goes far more darker than the Nolan film and there is also a good part where you see him breakdown and crying to someone. The ending is very fitting to the story as well.

I own it too and I absolutely loved it! I also loved how we got to see an emotional side of the Joker and we also see just how deep the relationship Joker has with Harley Quinn even though Harley doesn't say anything at all. If there was one thing I could change about the book, I would have given Harley a bigger part.

I sort of like to think of this book as a sequel to The Killing Joke by Alan Moore. And it can also be seen as a sort of follow story on the Joker after the events that occurred in TDK.
Yup, I pre-ordered it immediately when I watched Fresh Ink on AOTS.

Pretty good novel, very Nolanistic.

i read it

but i got a different vibe from the joker

he seemed just like a mob boss/ killer who makes a wise joke here and there, but he was not "The joker"

The graphic novel's portrayal of The Joker and The Dark Knight's portrayal are freakishly similar. However, the two were developed almost completely independently of each other, if you can believe that.

I didn't really appreciate this graphic novel's interpretation of the character. The Joker was made into more of a Scarface/Gangster wannabe than the cerebral and philosophical portrayals which have been dominant in the comics and the latest Batman film. Definitely different, just not my taste.

The artwork was fantastic though!

talli wrote:i read it

he seemed just like a mob boss/ killer who makes a wise joke here and there, but he was not "The joker"
This. It was a pretty good novel, but he was just another criminal. Bleh.

chee wrote:
talli wrote:i read it

This. It was a pretty good novel, but he was just another criminal. Bleh.
Agreed. I know it's the writer's interpretation and all but I thought he was pretty out of character at various points in it. Seemed like The Joker in name only. Sweet artwork though.