If Heath were alive

Christopher Nolan's 2008 mega success about Batman's attempts to defeat a criminal mastermind known only as the Joker.
I know this is a stupid question, but if Heath were alive and came back for Batman 3, what role can you see the Joker play?

loosely parallel to Hannibal Lecter in silence of the lambs...where clarise has to constantly go and see him to try to get some answers

Joker would be locked up in Arkham but still be involved in the mayhem going on in the city

apw
I'm not sure if I would want the Joker in a 3rd film.

He is such a great character but i feel like it's the kind of character you can only use once. He would lose his effect the 2nd time around.

apw wrote:I'm not sure if I would want the Joker in a 3rd film.

He is such a great character but i feel like it's the kind of character you can only use once. He would lose his effect the 2nd time around.
Yeah that's how I feel also, I love the Joker but in my view he's had his say in the current Batman films. I think they would be better off using new villans.
I think its a good idea not having the same villans appear all the time, but I don't mind them being cameos like Crane in The Dark Knight.
I think there are plenty of other villans that havn't been used yet, like Black Mask etc which I would like to see have a big screen treatment.

Perhaps a same kind of 'cameo' as scarcrow. Batman walking through the prison, and then The Joker making a real bad joke about him or something.
David emerges from the store slowly. He braces himself against a parked car and then keeps on walking in a nightmarish daze.

WE PULL BACK as David blends in with dozens and dozens of ordinary people, walking on an ordinary street, in an ordinary city.

Interesting comparison to Hannibal Lecter. I definitely think that's a very valid story line.

Also, didn't Nolan say he hadn't planned to kill The Joker off (in the manner that Two Face got killed). In other words, I think Nolan was hinting Joker had more of a role to play. He also said Heath's death is one of the reasons why he might not make a 3rd film.

They could do it with CG effects, if he's in a prison cell with the light off and you see him there with the use of a UV camera. Like in Silence of the Lambs when Hannibal Lector is locked in a cell with the light off, I think that would work to be fair if he was needed in the third film.

rbevanx wrote:They could do it with CG effects, if he's in a prison cell with the light off and you see him there with the use of a UV camera. Like in Silence of the Lambs when Hannibal Lector is locked in a cell with the light off, I think that would work to be fair if he was needed in the third film.
Doh, I forgot all about CGI. I definitely think it's possible, but it's also very expensive. Oliver Reed was 'reconstructed' in The Gladiator through CGI.

But I doubt Warner Bros would be interested in shelling out millions just for one scene.

Btw, what about body doubles/lookalikes of Heath?

That1 wrote:
rbevanx wrote:They could do it with CG effects, if he's in a prison cell with the light off and you see him there with the use of a UV camera. Like in Silence of the Lambs when Hannibal Lector is locked in a cell with the light off, I think that would work to be fair if he was needed in the third film.
Doh, I forgot all about CGI. I definitely think it's possible, but it's also very expensive. Oliver Reed was 'reconstructed' in The Gladiator through CGI.

But I doubt Warner Bros would be interested in shelling out millions just for one scene.

Anyone who's followed Nolan knows that he dislikes CGI. Besides, Heath's death really hit him hard. I honestly don't see a recast happening as Nolan was so close to Heath.

It is obvious that The Joker was meant to be a continuous thorn in Batman's side. If he did have a role in a third movie then I speculate that it may have been a Hannibal Lecter type role as above commenters suggested.

Eternalist wrote:
That1 wrote:

Anyone who's followed Nolan knows that he dislikes CGI. Besides, Heath's death really hit him hard. I honestly don't see a recast happening as Nolan was so close to Heath.

It is obvious that The Joker was meant to be a continuous thorn in Batman's side. If he did have a role in a third movie then I speculate that it may have been a Hannibal Lecter type role as above commenters suggested.
Ya I do know he didn't like CGI. But I thought, that was only for Action Sequences etc. Oh well.