Scriptshadow "Reviews" THE DARK KNIGHT

Christopher Nolan's 2008 mega success about Batman's attempts to defeat a criminal mastermind known only as the Joker.

What I learned: The Dark Knight has some sort of high-concept set-piece every ten or fifteen minutes. Interestingly enough, most movies can be broken down into eight, twelve to fifteen minute sequences. These sequences have a beginning, middle and end. Now, constructing such a sequence is a true challenge, but even in sprawling sagas like The Dark Knight, it’s still operating in a traditional structure (no matter how modern it may seem). Where does this come from? Why, the old days, when movies were divided into reels containing about ten minutes of film. The projectionist had to change each reel, and history’s screenwriters had to learn to write one sequence per reel. The narrative rhythm was defined by the physical media. Even today, we still see this pattern in modern films. But, of course, a movie like The Dark Knight would probably have twice as many reels as those older flicks.
This was really useful. I loved the whole article. And the youtube vid afterwards.

Don't they hate Nolan?

I don't think the reviewer watched the film enough times.

The purpose of The Dark Knight being so packed with plots is not just for the hell of it, there is a reason for everything, and everything connects to something else.

I'm sure their review of Inception will be similar. Both films are complex, yes, but not in a way that is meant to confuse, only to convey a message or several messages.
If she plays cranium she gives good brainium.

The purpose of The Dark Knight being so packed with plots is not just for the hell of it, there is a reason for everything, and everything connects to something else.
Yea, almost all of the scenes in The Dark Knight are needed.

kor
I read this so called review and for me this is more long synopsis than a review.

Interesting.

Carson liked Inglourious Basterds. He did explain well why it was a great film with a great script. Well, that's being unconventional.
But my drawback from his intellect is him liking Avatar. He put it as top 2 film of 2009. Well, that's being a total conventional. Avatar has the crappiest screenplay in a Blockbuster movie Ive ever seen. It was heavilt littered with cliche and predictability.

Chris Nolan films has multi-layered plot and unfolded in a very clever and fast-paced manner. I guess Carson is too old for this kind of revolutionary screenplay.

chee wrote:
Yea, almost all of the scenes in The Dark Knight are needed.
Agree, same as Memento.

jonycarr wrote:It's the best Batman movie ever, best movie superhero movie ever and the best of 2008 so far.
Really? Is there more movies due to come out in 2008? ;)
chee wrote:Yea, almost all of the scenes in The Dark Knight are needed.
I think there's an argument that there weren't enough scenes in The Dark Knight. Certainly Nolan was wrong to cut the scene of the Joker escaping in a car from Wayne's penthouse. I also think there should have been a scene establishing (or at least hinting) that Rachel had been kidnapped by bent cops. The way she just appeared tied to ropes during the 'Sophie's Choice' sequence was a little bit jarring.

I remember a lot of people complaining that the Joker crashing the party scene ended far too abruptly.