What flaws do you see in The Dark Knight?

Christopher Nolan's 2008 mega success about Batman's attempts to defeat a criminal mastermind known only as the Joker.
Mason01 wrote:
Madelyn wrote:I'm probably one of a very few who would not notice and/or look for them. TDK = Nolan masterpiece.
Well said. I found no flaws in the plot, action, nor anything else for that matter. A perfect film all round, the best Super Hero film ever made (that is, until TDKR is released :D ).
Really? TDK's one of my favorites of all time, and it's certainly a masterpiece, but a flawed one. There's quite a few logic problems and odd cuts that leave things where they shouldn't be left, the biggest being the cut whilst The Joker's still in the penthouse. I realize it was in the script, but I don't really see why Nolan didn't think that was kind of something that should've been left in, it's not even mentioned again.

Or how the bomb perfectly destroyed everyone EXCEPT The Joker and Lau (sp), and how "You want the joker? I'll tell you where he'll be this afternoon" just cuts and is never followed... or how Gordon said 5 dead, 2 of them cops without it being clear who it was.

Plus, (and this goes for most superhero movies) I find it odd Batman doesn't just have some form of tranquilizer rifle to shoot people from a distance, not killing them, but impairing them, I.E. The Joker, Dent, and so on.

The whole 'sonar vision' thing doesn't really make sense, isn't really explained, and was a major element of the third act. How this sonar stuff cut off the power in Lau(sp)'s building, I'll never know either. A lot happens action-wise that's never explained logically, in-story. The finger print thing is VERY far-fetched, too. But this is Nolan satiating his desire to make a Bond picture, with crazy gadgetry and so on.

Like I said, it's a masterpiece, but a flawed one imo

-Vader

Vader182 wrote:
Mason01 wrote:
Well said. I found no flaws in the plot, action, nor anything else for that matter. A perfect film all round, the best Super Hero film ever made (that is, until TDKR is released :D ).
Really? TDK's one of my favorites of all time, and it's certainly a masterpiece, but a flawed one. There's quite a few logic problems and odd cuts that leave things where they shouldn't be left, the biggest being the cut whilst The Joker's still in the penthouse. I realize it was in the script, but I don't really see why Nolan didn't think that was kind of something that should've been left in, it's not even mentioned again.

Or how the bomb perfectly destroyed everyone EXCEPT The Joker and Lau (sp), and how "You want the joker? I'll tell you where he'll be this afternoon" just cuts and is never followed... or how Gordon said 5 dead, 2 of them cops without it being clear who it was.

Plus, (and this goes for most superhero movies) I find it odd Batman doesn't just have some form of tranquilizer rifle to shoot people from a distance, not killing them, but impairing them, I.E. The Joker, Dent, and so on.

The whole 'sonar vision' thing doesn't really make sense, isn't really explained, and was a major element of the third act. How this sonar stuff cut off the power in Lau(sp)'s building, I'll never know either. A lot happens action-wise that's never explained logically, in-story. The finger print thing is VERY far-fetched, too. But this is Nolan satiating his desire to make a Bond picture, with crazy gadgetry and so on.

Like I said, it's a masterpiece, but a flawed one imo

-Vader
Nice read. I agree on the Joker and Lau surviving the blast, but the rest I think are possible, or dion't need to be explained. The "I can tell you where he'll be this afternoon" line doesn't really need to be explained, in my opinion. The Sonar concept is also possible, and doesn't really need to be explained (the same as the briefcase in Inception), the same goes for the Hong Kong sequence (the phone was obviously some sort of wireless signal to disrupt communications in the building). But I respect your opinions, they put up a debatable, honest discussion. I still don't think it's flawed, it's perfect in every way in my opinion.

:thumbup:

Mason01 wrote: Nice read. I agree on the Joker and Lau surviving the blast, but the rest I think are possible, or dion't need to be explained. The "I can tell you where he'll be this afternoon" line doesn't really need to be explained, in my opinion. The Sonar concept is also possible, and doesn't really need to be explained (the same as the briefcase in Inception), the same goes for the Hong Kong sequence (the phone was obviously some sort of wireless signal to disrupt communications in the building). But I respect your opinions, they put up a debatable, honest discussion. I still don't think it's flawed, it's perfect in every way in my opinion.

Why don't you think the penthouse bit needs to be explained, haha, along with the "I'll tell you where he'll be this afternoon." It implies Moroni's giving up The Joker's location to the GPD to track and bring him down, then we see the location, but nothing about pursuing the lead. Hell, it's better than a lead really.

And yeah, I agree about the tech. I mean, they don't really make 'sense' but like I said, it's just Nolan having fun, and hell, who can blame him.

Though, one thing I do disagree one, the briefcase in Inception didn't attempt to have an explanation, most of the items in Batman did, so it gives people like us room to be nitpicky :lol:

Vader182 wrote:
Mason01 wrote: Nice read. I agree on the Joker and Lau surviving the blast, but the rest I think are possible, or dion't need to be explained. The "I can tell you where he'll be this afternoon" line doesn't really need to be explained, in my opinion. The Sonar concept is also possible, and doesn't really need to be explained (the same as the briefcase in Inception), the same goes for the Hong Kong sequence (the phone was obviously some sort of wireless signal to disrupt communications in the building). But I respect your opinions, they put up a debatable, honest discussion. I still don't think it's flawed, it's perfect in every way in my opinion.

Why don't you think the penthouse bit needs to be explained, haha, along with the "I'll tell you where he'll be this afternoon." It implies Moroni's giving up The Joker's location to the GPD to track and bring him down, then we see the location, but nothing about pursuing the lead. Hell, it's better than a lead really.

And yeah, I agree about the tech. I mean, they don't really make 'sense' but like I said, it's just Nolan having fun, and hell, who can blame him.

Though, one thing I do disagree one, the briefcase in Inception didn't attempt to have an explanation, most of the items in Batman did, so it gives people like us room to be nitpicky :lol:
I read the script for The Dark Knight, and Nolan did cut out a very detailed scene after the Penthouse sequence when Jokers leaving, so I suppose it was cut wrong and left us wondering what happened - but I think it adds to the Jokers mystery at that point. Showing him leave and recap on the event would introduce the character to early, I think. The "I'll tell you where he'll be this afternoon" line basically tells us that he's told him where he'll be, so no further explaining would be needed.

Haha, yeah. Inception didn't really explain it's origins much, so it left room for discussion, which is cool, in a way. The Tech in The Dark Knight didn't really need to be explained either, cause it was so bad ass :lol:

Vader182 wrote:
Maybe I'm remembering wrong, but weren't they planning on capturing the joker at that point, but once the joker makes the threat about blowing up a hospital, they divert all their forces towards that?

steveportee wrote:
Vader182 wrote:
Maybe I'm remembering wrong, but weren't they planning on capturing the joker at that point, but once the joker makes the threat about blowing up a hospital, they divert all their forces towards that?
Now that you say that it seems likely, but they never mention anything about that in the film

Vader182 wrote:Now that you say that it seems likely, but they never mention anything about that in the film
I remember Gordon saying something about he wants Lau alive, but with the Joker either way, meaning they are about to surround the area where they are at. But soon after, Joker calls the TV station and makes the threat, and suddenly Gordon is diverting all the units to evacuate people from the hospitals.

steveportee wrote:
Vader182 wrote:Now that you say that it seems likely, but they never mention anything about that in the film
I remember Gordon saying something about he wants Lau alive, but with the Joker either way, meaning they are about to surround the area where they are at. But soon after, Joker calls the TV station and makes the threat, and suddenly Gordon is diverting all the units to evacuate people from the hospitals.
You are correct. That's why the GPD don't end up there, because Joker threatens the Hospitals and the teams deploy to evacuate the Hospitals. Good thinking! :thumbup:

Mason01 wrote:
steveportee wrote:
You are correct. That's why the GPD don't end up there, because Joker threatens the Hospitals and the teams deploy to evacuate the Hospitals. Good thinking! :thumbup:
:clap: :clap: :clap:

Excellent points I embarrassingly didn't think of after an innumerable amount of viewings! haha

Vader182 wrote:
Mason01 wrote:
:clap: :clap: :clap:

Excellent points I embarrassingly didn't think of after an innumerable amount of viewings! haha

:lol: Me either, even though I've watched it well over thirty times! I'll watch it again tomorrow, and any flaws I spot - I'll report straight here, lol. :D