Can The Dark Knight be watched as a standalone?

Christopher Nolan's 2008 mega success about Batman's attempts to defeat a criminal mastermind known only as the Joker.
I had a debate with two of my friends today...they were saying TDK works just as well as a standalone movie instead of being the middle of a trilogy..What do you think? I really don't agree, but I wonder what's the opinion on here

Well I guess it can - and so can Batman Begins and also Rises to some extent. It's all part of how Nolan makes films.

I remember back when it was released - many of my friends went to see TDK (and loved it) without having seen BB. Which I of course told them to go do asap. They didn't really seem to be having any trouble understanding the characters or story line that was introduced in Begins.
It's funny how TDKR is actually more tied together with BB than it is TDK.
Last edited by Jones on April 5th, 2013, 4:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Every great film should be able to work as a singular entity. TDK is a great film no matter how you watch it, be it the alone film or the trilogy as a whole. Obviosly the trilogy aspect raises our emotional connection with the character and brings out a lot more that can't be seen by only watching the one film. TDK allows you to pick up right in the middle, but it may lose quite a bit of impact on the viewer. Yes and no.
Brave New World

I think so, yes. After all, there are not as many overt references to its predecessor(s) as there were in Rises, even though it was a sequel and things are established (or re-established) well enough. It's also a phenomenal film to boot, but that's not the point I'm trying to make here :lol:.

Obviously yes, I don't even remember it being promoted as a sequel.

Obviously one can only watch TDK and leave the other ones aside but why would one want to do that?

I wouldn't recommend it because the other two films are terrific too.

I love TDK and it's a contender for my favourite film but I have to say, had I not seen Batman Begins i don't think I would've been half as interested in Batman's war on crime in the sequel. Most of the character development of the main character is in begins

I've noticed as the years have gone by at how overlooked Batman Begins is which is a shame :(

Now Where Was I ? wrote:I had a debate with two of my friends today...they were saying TDK works just as well as a standalone movie instead of being the middle of a trilogy..What do you think? I really don't agree, but I wonder what's the opinion on here
You can, but it works so much better as a part of a trilogy. There so many details and connections between the films, would be a crime you watch only TDK. But in fact, I think once you watch the 2nd, you want to watch the entire trilogy.

Now Where Was I ? wrote:I had a debate with two of my friends today...they were saying TDK works just as well as a standalone movie instead of being the middle of a trilogy..What do you think? I really don't agree, but I wonder what's the opinion on here
You can't appreciate it enough as a standalone, it's definitely a part of something bigger and with that in mind it's also so much better.

I think it can be watched as a standalone but it works better as part of the trilogy.