Why was Christian Bale so poor in this?

Christopher Nolan's 2008 mega success about Batman's attempts to defeat a criminal mastermind known only as the Joker.
BatMan528491 wrote: When I read the title I wanted to throw my laptop across the room.

Bale is awesome in this movie.
yep + 1

@ gasper who would u prefer instead of bale for batman?

Bale is awesome in anything.

/Thread

gaspernoe wrote:Of all the the things that can be praised about this truly wonderful movie, Bale's performance isn't one of them. I didn't notice it at first when I first saw TDK in theaters because I was so immersed by the story and Ledger's epic performance. But on repeat viewings I noticed how stilted and one dimensional his performance. It's always been a conundrum for me, especially when Christian Bale is a pretty good actor. Even without Ledger's overshadowing performance Bale looked like a shell in TDK. He wasn't nearly as good as he was in TDKR and even BB.
To each his own but i personally liked his performance very much in this. Plus, he is only "poor" if one puts him next to heath ledger who plays a character that is very eccentric and wild so of course bale is going to be more restrained.

What? He was the richest man in Gotham.

Bale just isn't as good an actor as Heath was. Even in TDKR Hardy stole the show and he had to wear a massive metal thing on his face for the entire movie.

:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

gaspernoe wrote:Of all the the things that can be praised about this truly wonderful movie, Bale's performance isn't one of them. I didn't notice it at first when I first saw TDK in theaters because I was so immersed by the story and Ledger's epic performance. But on repeat viewings I noticed how stilted and one dimensional his performance. It's always been a conundrum for me, especially when Christian Bale is a pretty good actor. Even without Ledger's overshadowing performance Bale looked like a shell in TDK. He wasn't nearly as good as he was in TDKR and even BB.
Just post in the controversial opinions thread. Stop making pointless threads.

07202012 wrote:
Just post in the controversial opinions thread. Stop making pointless threads.
Is it a controversial opinion though? Like I've said before I like Bale as an actor but here he acted like a robot throughout the movie. Not to mention that his Bat voice was at its worst in TDK. Bale was spoofed through various YouTube videos. Whatever is great about TDK, Bale isn't part of that.

gaspernoe wrote:Is it a controversial opinion though? Like I've said before I like Bale as an actor but here he acted like a robot throughout the movie. Not to mention that his Bat voice was at its worst in TDK. Bale was spoofed through various YouTube videos. Whatever is great about TDK, Bale isn't part of that.
This. Better actors than Bale have made these movies alongside the Nolan brothers, Wally Pfister and Hans Zimmer. It's a testament to how strong those people were that the weak leading performance from Bale isn't distracting.

gaspernoe wrote:
07202012 wrote: Just post in the controversial opinions thread. Stop making pointless threads.
Is it a controversial opinion though? Like I've said before I like Bale as an actor but here he acted like a robot throughout the movie. Not to mention that his Bat voice was at its worst in TDK. Bale was spoofed through various YouTube videos. Whatever is great about TDK, Bale isn't part of that.
It is controversial. Remember where you're posting.