Is The Joker the best praised character in movie history?

Christopher Nolan's 2008 mega success about Batman's attempts to defeat a criminal mastermind known only as the Joker.
I don't think I have ever come across anyone who's ever said a bad word about Heath Ledger's portrayal of The Joker. It's incredible when you think about. He has to be the most universally praised character. I've come across people who don't even like the new Batman movies or Christopher Nolan in general but have said 'That dude who played The Joker was damn good though'.

So yeah, has anyone here come across people who aren't fond of Ledger's Joker? I know I haven't.

Drop 'Heath Ledger's Joker sucked' into google. And now consider all the various permutations of that phrase and have a ball.

Searches related to 'heath ledger's joker sucked':
heath ledger horrible joker
heath ledger bad joker

So clearly others had considered something like that.

Also try 'Heath Ledger Joker overrated'.

Also, people feel bad/fear backlash when they say mean stuff about a dead guy. Which may make them hold their tongue.
Do you... like pineapple?

jibran wrote:Drop 'Heath Ledger's Joker sucked' into google. And now consider all the various permutations of that phrase and have a ball.

Searches related to 'heath ledger's joker sucked':
heath ledger horrible joker
heath ledger bad joker

So clearly others had considered something like that.

Also try 'Heath Ledger Joker overrated'.

Also, people feel bad/fear backlash when they say mean stuff about a dead guy. Which may make them hold their tongue.
People who said those things are probably butthurt internet trolls who still resent Heath Ledger over that 'gay cowboy' movie. I remember how people said vile things about Ledger over Brokeback Montain and also when he was revealed that he would be playing The Joker.

But yeah, I have never come across any sane person say a bad thing about Ledger's Joker. All the reviews I've seen/read have featured nothing but glowing praise for Ledger as The Joker, even negative reviews of the movie itself.

gaspernoe wrote:
People who said those things are probably butthurt internet trolls who still resent Heath Ledger over that 'gay cowboy' movie. I remember how people said vile things about Ledger over Brokeback Montain and also when he was revealed that he would be playing The Joker.
Hmmm, I'm not entirely sure you're entirely certain of this yourself. Total unanimity does not exist, and unlikely it will. It seems like you are only allowing one answer to your thread.
Do you... like pineapple?

gaspernoe wrote: I've come across people who don't even like the new Batman movies or Christopher Nolan in general

jibran wrote:
gaspernoe wrote:
Hmmm, I'm not entirely sure you're entirely certain of this yourself. Total unanimity does not exist, and unlikely it will. It seems like you are only allowing one answer to your thread.
I was just speculating with regards to people disliking Ledger's Joker. But with regards to popularity, surely he has to be at least on par with Darth Vader as probably the most popular character in movie history?

I think he's one of the best praised characters in movie history, there's no doubt about this. Now if you ask me, I did meet people who think he wasn't especially good, I even have one of those sharing the same roof with me, in the person of my dad. :lol: He doesn't like Nolan and Batman in general anyway, so yeah, when he doesn't like something, he won't see any good about it. He's stubborn like that, just like his son.