Is the joker a sane man?

Christopher Nolan's 2008 mega success about Batman's attempts to defeat a criminal mastermind known only as the Joker.
I always thought that his philosophy on life was too sound and reasonable to classify him as being insane. He's a social outcast, because of his views, but I do not view him as an insane person. As a result, through that filter, I view his behavior as a means to an end. All those jokeresque qualities, to me, come across as a pretense.

How do you feel?

I'd say he's more of a sociopath than insane.

"A sane person to an insane society must appear insane" - Kurt Vonnegut

"In a mad world, only the mad are sane." - Akiro Kurosawa

oracle86 wrote:"A sane person to an insane society must appear insane" - Kurt Vonnegut

That's definitely the world the joker is in. He doesn't value human life, because he can't in the world he lives in. He's cynical.

DomCobbSalad wrote:I'd say he's more of a sociopath than insane.
David8 wrote:
oracle86 wrote:"A sane person to an insane society must appear insane" - Kurt Vonnegut

That's definitely the world the joker is in. He doesn't value human life, because he can't in the world he lives in. He's cynical.
Agreed:-) I never thought the joker was 'insane'...definitely more of sociopath...it's naive I think to just assume he is completely insane.

Per the definition of insane (in a state of mind that prevents normal perception, behavior, or social interaction), yes, he's insane.

Duh. The guy dresses up in clown make up and kills people and loves every second of it.

The Joker is part of something called Super-Sanity

Crazy Eight wrote:Per the definition of insane (in a state of mind that prevents normal perception, behavior, or social interaction), yes, he's insane.

Duh. The guy dresses up in clown make up and kills people and loves every second of it.
"Well, a Guy Who Dresses Up Like a Bat Clearly Has Issues."

Falcone wrote:
Crazy Eight wrote:Per the definition of insane (in a state of mind that prevents normal perception, behavior, or social interaction), yes, he's insane.

"Well, a Guy Who Dresses Up Like a Bat Clearly Has Issues."
If people would classify dressing up like a Bat and stopping criminals as being insane, then I don't see why a man who dresses as a clown and causes chaos in a corrupt city can't be considred insane as well.

David8 wrote:I always thought that his philosophy on life was too sound and reasonable to classify him as being insane.
Insane people never think they're insane.