The Prestige Favourite Quotes

The 2006 film about rival magicians desperately trying to learn the secrets of each others tricks.
"I knew a sailor once, got tangled in the rigging. We pulled him out, but it took him five minutes to cough. He said it was like going home."
"One of the things you do as a writer and as a filmmaker is grasp for resonant symbols and imagery without necessarily fully understanding it yourself. "
-Christopher Nolan

"How fast can you dig?"

"Are you Watching Closely?"

Are you watching closely?

The audience knows the truth: the world is simple. It's miserable, solid all the way through. But if you could fool them, even for a second, then you can make them wonder, and then you... then you got to see something really special... you really don't know?... it was... it was the look on their faces...

And Borden's voice over dialogue when he and angier watching a show in a theater I take it as a metaphor which means borden and fallon.

There are so many lines of dialog that resonate way after the movie is over.

The simplest of them, but the one I always come back to is "Are you watching closely?"

When Rebecca Hall tells Borden "I know who you really are!"

Angier's/Lord Caldlow's speech at the end of the film is a manifesto for what drives and motivates entertainers everywhere. It's beautiful.

"I was lying. He said it was agony."

"I don't care about my wife, I care about his secret."
"It was the greatest magic trick I've ever seen"
"You don't know?"

You don't know?
YOU DON'T KNOW!?

Me and my roommates used to yell "YOU DON'T KNOW!?" any time one of us answered a question with "I don't know." Things escalated quickly.

"The audience knows the truth: the world is simple. It's miserable, solid all the way through. But if you could fool them, even for a second, then you can make them wonder, and then you... then you got to see something really special... you really don't know?... it was... it was the look on their faces..."

"Alive?"

"How fast can you dig?"