Was the Bradbury Building the stand in for the prison?

The 2006 film about rival magicians desperately trying to learn the secrets of each others tricks.
Nowhere on the net does it say where the prison scene was filmed, but it looks an awful lot like courtyard of the Bradbury building.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bradbury_Building

I've wondered since I first saw the movie, and have gone back and forth whether or not it is the Bradbury or not. If it is, it's a pretty heavy redress to cover up the ornate wrought iron work. We all know how much Nolan loves Blade Runner.. wouldn't surprise me at all if he chose to use this location simply because of the tie-in to that film.

What do you guys think? Bradbury or not?

If it was shot there, I am sure the documentaries would have mentioned something. It is a good thought, and a possibility.
With Christopher Nolan's love for Blade Runner, who knows?

The narrows in Batman Begins clearly had some tribute to Blade Runner's chinatown.
And Inception. In Blade Runner, the BIRTH date of the replicants was reffered to as "Incept date"
Memento and Following had Batman symbols.
In The Prestige, Borden had a coin with 2 heads as a nice visual metaphor for his twin life. And Two Face had this coin.
TDK also had a magic trick, and clo(w)nes.

When I begin to think about all the mirrored metaphors crossing over and between Nolan's movies, there is no end.

tykjen wrote:If it was shot there, I am sure the documentaries would have mentioned something. It is a good thought, and a possibility.

The narrows in Batman Begins clearly had some tribute to Blade Runner's chinatown.
And Inception. In Blade Runner, the BIRTH date of the replicants was reffered to as "Incept date"
In The Prestige, Borden had a coin with 2 heads as a nice visual metaphor for his twin life. And Two Face had this coin.

When I begin to think about all the mirrored metaphors crossing over and between Nolan's movies, there is no end.
Yeah, and I don't think it was part of some master plan, but just something that he probably new about because of Blade Runner, and he just thought, 'oh.. that location would be good, let's see if we can make it work visually'.

The main issue I have is a lot of the Victorian style ornamentation has been removed or covered up. That almost seems like it would be more trouble than it would be worth. I also thought I saw a brief glimpse of that distinctive roof. I will have to look again.

Aye I did not mean to convey it was some master plan either. I'm just amazed how Nolan constantly keeps his attention to metaphors within movies, and THEN metaphors in movies relating to his other movies! Its clever stuff, no other director has done this as far as I know. But with Nolan's love for the sublime, I doubt he will ever make a "normal" movie.

Get some screenies if you can :) It would be interesting to follow your conclusions.

Robbman wrote:
tykjen wrote:If it was shot there, I am sure the documentaries would have mentioned something. It is a good thought, and a possibility.

Yeah, and I don't think it was part of some master plan, but just something that he probably new about because of Blade Runner, and he just thought, 'oh.. that location would be good, let's see if we can make it work visually'.

The main issue I have is a lot of the Victorian style ornamentation has been removed or covered up. That almost seems like it would be more trouble than it would be worth. I also thought I saw a brief glimpse of that distinctive roof. I will have to look again.
I didn't mean to suggest you were implying that.. actually, it just occurred to me that I might have implied that, and that just wan't what I was saying.

I don't really know how to screen grab, but I suppose I can research it and give it a try. If nothing else, a print screen function.

Robbman wrote:I don't really know how to screen grab, but I suppose I can research it and give it a try. If nothing else, a print screen function.

No worries pal, just perceptions running wild here ^

I will have to recommend the VLC player. Its screenshot function works like a dream :) Places all pictures into my documents/my pictures.

tykjen wrote:

No worries pal, just perceptions running wild here ^

Absolutely.. I'm not he most clear in my message board posting.. totally my fault. No worries..

Well I am glad we understand each other. Now go research before I do! :)

So, I sat down to work on this a bit.. and forgot that all I have is the blu-ray. My laptop has a DVD rom and its not blu-ray compatible. Bummer. I'll keep my eyes open for a copy of the movie on DVD. If I can find one, I'll get to work on some screen grabs.