This film blew me away more so than any other Nolan film

The 2006 film about rival magicians desperately trying to learn the secrets of each others tricks.
Is that weird? I don't think it's necessarily his best, but I was just so blown away by it. I just couldn't get out of my seat when it ended. I just sat there watching the credits roll and roll. Definitely one of the best movie experiences of my life. The best part is, I didn't even expect to like it that much so when it ended it just made it that much better.

cool story bro

I wasn't even interested in seeing it, but I loved TDK so I decided to give it a shot. And it ended up being the best movie ever.

I agree about being surprised by this movie. I didn't expect the twists and turns, and while I figured it out at least midway through, it doesn't take the fun away for the rest of that initial viewing, and there is a lot to pick up on repeat viewings. I watched this again the other night. You're right this might not be Nolan's best, but it may very well be my favorite, despite my pre-Nolan love for the Batman character in general.

I hope Nolan is going to keep doing these 'little' movies. Not quite as epic in scope as his blockbuster material, but just great character stuff and nice stories that showcase his atypical storytelling style.

Amazing film. The title explains it all.
Also, a great tribute with my fav band (tied with Daft Punk) playing:

The Prestige has multiple layers and sublime character depth that few other movies has managed to display.
No doubt my fav Nolan movie so far

tykjen wrote:The Prestige has multiple layers and sublime character depth that few other movies has managed to display.
No doubt my fav Nolan movie so far
This thought occurred to me after reading your post for some reason... this movie may be the most 'Nolan' of all of his films. Just about every signature element of his kind of filmmaking is there in as good of form as you're going to see.

I suppose one could argue that the notion of coming up with the singular, unique, spectacular effect in his blockbuster films are missing (the truck flip in TDK, the rotating hallway in Inception) but I just don't see that as an essential element to his films, as badass as they have been.

The Prestige is on today and tomorrow on FX.
Time to get out my empty VCR tapes. :thumbup:

I thought Bale's performance here was greatly under appreciated whether it be through the media or fans who have seen the film. This guy truly displayed every emotion there is to a human flawlessly, all the while portraying two people without letting a slip.

cchriswake wrote:I thought Bale's performance here was greatly under appreciated whether it be through the media or fans who have seen the film. This guy truly displayed every emotion there is to a human flawlessly, all the while portraying two people without letting a slip.
Agreed. :thumbup:

I love how on repeated viewings and when you know the twist already, you can spot Bale's subtle differences between the two. It's really amazing.