If Angier used a double once...

The 2006 film about rival magicians desperately trying to learn the secrets of each others tricks.
Posts: 32
Joined: June 2011
...then why are Borden and all the audiences so amazed by his trick? Sure, the Tesla coil looks pretty cool, but you don't hear anyone gasp until Angier reappears on the balcony. It's very plausible that Angier could have just been using a double like Root again. And even Borden knew that Angier was using a trapdoor; what made him so sure that he wasn't using a double?

(By "double" I mean the Root kind of double, not the clone kind.)

Posts: 9038
Joined: July 2010
Because it was Angier on the balcony, not someone who kinda looks like him. Borden could tell when Angier used a double, and this time, he could see it wasn't a double. That's why he was dumbfounded by the trick, whereas he could tell when Angier used Root.

And as for the audience, they were impressed when he used the double as well. They probably couldn't tell the difference. It was the set up to the trick that made it more impressive to them.

Posts: 24105
Joined: June 2011
steveportee wrote:Because it was Angier on the balcony, not someone who kinda looks like him. Borden could tell when Angier used a double, and this time, he could see it wasn't a double. That's why he was dumbfounded by the trick, whereas he could tell when Angier used Root.

And as for the audience, they were impressed when he used the double as well. They probably couldn't tell the difference. It was the set up to the trick that made it more impressive to them.
Couldn't have said it better myself.
Also, I just watched it for the first time yesterday.
EXCELLENT FILM! :twothumbsup:

Posts: 32
Joined: June 2011
steveportee wrote:Because it was Angier on the balcony, not someone who kinda looks like him. Borden could tell when Angier used a double, and this time, he could see it wasn't a double. That's why he was dumbfounded by the trick, whereas he could tell when Angier used Root.

And as for the audience, they were impressed when he used the double as well. They probably couldn't tell the difference. It was the set up to the trick that made it more impressive to them.
Alright, I guess that makes sense. Hugh Jackman played Angier and his double, but whatever.

Posts: 9038
Joined: July 2010
Will-B wrote: Alright, I guess that makes sense. Hugh Jackman played Angier and his double, but whatever.
Borden says in the movie that he can tell that he's using a double for the first version of the trick. Root looks/acts different enough from Angier that Borden can tell.

Posts: 32
Joined: June 2011
steveportee wrote:
Will-B wrote: Alright, I guess that makes sense. Hugh Jackman played Angier and his double, but whatever.
Borden says in the movie that he can tell that he's using a double for the first version of the trick. Root looks/acts different enough from Angier that Borden can tell.
Still, Angier was all the way up on a balcony during the real trick, but now I'm thinking too hard again.

Posts: 9038
Joined: July 2010
When he's on the balcony, Angier speaks to the audience. When Root was used, he never spoke to the audience. And Borden is able to recognize Angier's voice. Root sounds nothing like Aniger.

And not to mention that Olivia lead Borden directly to Root. So Borden has met Root. But even before this, he could tell that the person who appears from out the door wasn't Angier. But once Angier used the machine, and spoke to the audience, Borden could tell it wasn't another double, that it was in fact Angier who appears on the balcony.

Posts: 8
Joined: February 2011
I also think that the increased distance is supposed to be what makes this the most impressive version of the trick. I always wondered where exactly the transported Angier showes up each night, and whether or not is is concealed from view (like a closet near the balconey) or is he just depending on people not watching the place he appears (watching the stage instead). Cutter might be the one keeping people away from the "landing zone", which would explain why he needed him up front (in addition to not wanting him to see the tank death every night).

After all, what would stop a repeat customer (or rival magician) from scoping out the balcony to see when and how he appears.

Posts: 32
Joined: June 2011
AverageDrafter wrote:I also think that the increased distance is supposed to be what makes this the most impressive version of the trick. I always wondered where exactly the transported Angier showes up each night, and whether or not is is concealed from view (like a closet near the balconey) or is he just depending on people not watching the place he appears (watching the stage instead). Cutter might be the one keeping people away from the "landing zone", which would explain why he needed him up front (in addition to not wanting him to see the tank death every night).

After all, what would stop a repeat customer (or rival magician) from scoping out the balcony to see when and how he appears.
How does he even aim that thing? What if something went wrong and he ended up a hundred feet above the audience's seats?

Posts: 4528
Joined: May 2011
Location: Insomnia, Norway
Alley had written a manual for Angier. There was a flashback that showed Angier setting up the machine for the first attempt, also with a loaded gun close, as Angier did not want a clone for long. He knew what he was getting into, as the manual surely spoke volumes of the COST Mr Tesla warned about.

Post Reply