My brief thoughts on this film

The 2006 film about rival magicians desperately trying to learn the secrets of each others tricks.
I hope I don't get beaten over the head about this (I only but a day-old member, mind you), but I felt that "The Prestige" was Nolan's weakest film. I don't know if it was trying to be some kind of thriller or some sort of mystery film, but I felt it lacked tension between the two major players (Hugh Jackman and Christian Bale's characters, of course), and the revelation at ending was mildly interesting, but not enough to save the film from being such a confusing mess. I'm glad Nolan's improved with his directing and writing skills as of late, because "The Dark Knight" was a MAJOR improvement over that film. :thumbup:

What do you guys think?

MOVIELORD101 wrote:I hope I don't get beaten over the head about this (I only but a day-old member, mind you), but I felt that "The Prestige" was Nolan's weakest film. I don't know if it was trying to be some kind of thriller or some sort of mystery film, but I felt it lacked tension between the two major players (Hugh Jackman and Christian Bale's characters, of course), and the revelation at ending was mildly interesting, but not enough to save the film from being such a confusing mess. I'm glad Nolan's improved with his directing and writing skills as of late, because "The Dark Knight" was a MAJOR improvement over that film. :thumbup:

What do you guys think?
Nah I liked it tbh, but I can understand people being a little annoyed with it, as the machine and how it works can be confusing.
They still argue on IMDB boards about it lol.

rbevanx wrote:
MOVIELORD101 wrote:I hope I don't get beaten over the head about this (I only but a day-old member, mind you), but I felt that "The Prestige" was Nolan's weakest film. I don't know if it was trying to be some kind of thriller or some sort of mystery film, but I felt it lacked tension between the two major players (Hugh Jackman and Christian Bale's characters, of course), and the revelation at ending was mildly interesting, but not enough to save the film from being such a confusing mess. I'm glad Nolan's improved with his directing and writing skills as of late, because "The Dark Knight" was a MAJOR improvement over that film. :thumbup:

What do you guys think?
Nah I liked it tbh, but I can understand people being a little annoyed with it, as the machine and how it works can be confusing.
Those trolls at IMDB are STILL talking about it. Yikes. Anyway, glad you understand. Btw, that contraption looked like a cloning machine to me.

MOVIELORD101 wrote:
rbevanx wrote:

What do you guys think?
Those trolls at IMDB are STILL talking about it. Yikes. Anyway, glad you understand. Btw, that contraption looked like a cloning machine to me.
Yeah but how it works exactly has people arguing. Does the real Angier survive or is it his clone etc.
Trust me it will go on for days trying to work out "exactly" how that machine functions lol.

You have a point there. It's very confusing. Besides, I've still got one last season of Lost left, THEN I'll give this another go. Ok? :D

I don't see how you felt there was no tension between the main characters since that was probably the strongest defining aspect of the movie.

It's meant to be confusing, it's one of those movies where if you took a bathroom break, you'd be lost. I probably like that the most about the film though.

But, I can understand why you'd be confused by the machine aspect. To this day I'm not entirely sure if I've got it figured out myself.

Maybe if you could further elaborate on your criticisms then I could address them.

Eternalist wrote:I don't see how you felt there was no tension between the main characters since that was probably the strongest defining aspect of the movie.

It's meant to be confusing, it's one of those movies where if you took a bathroom break, you'd be lost. I probably like that the most about the film though.

But, I can understand why you'd be confused by the machine aspect. To this day I'm not entirely sure if I've got it figured out myself.

Maybe if you could further elaborate on your criticisms then I could address them.
I have a gut feeling it's because of the use of Non-Linear that MOVIELORD101 found the film confusing. It can be hard to follow for people who are not use to it.
Good luck with Memento then MOVIELORD101 :lol:

Eternalist wrote:I don't see how you felt there was no tension between the main characters since that was probably the strongest defining aspect of the movie.

By the time the machine came around, the movie just a little too confusing enough for me to feel the tension. In fact, the machine confused me even MORE when we see the scene from the beginning again with Jackman's chracter drowning, and the he shows up again with a mustache, making me almost want to scream out "WHAT THE HELL?! WE JUST SAW HIM DIE! HOW DID HE SURVIVE, AND, IF NOT, WHO IS THIS GUY?!". The bit with the many clones in the jars didn't help things either. :|

rbevanx wrote: I have a gut feeling it's because of the use of Non-Linear that MOVIELORD101 found the film confusing. It can be hard to follow for people who are not use to it.
Good luck with Memento then MOVIELORD101 :lol:
Lmao, you could say that. :lol:

MOVIELORD101 wrote:

By the time the machine came around, the movie just a little too confusing enough for me to feel the tension. In fact, the machine confused me even MORE when we see the scene from the beginning again with Jackman's chracter drowning, and the he shows up again with a mustache, making me almost want to scream out "WHAT THE HELL?! WE JUST SAW HIM DIE! HOW DID HE SURVIVE, AND, IF NOT, WHO IS THIS GUY?!". The bit with the many clones in the jars didn't help things either. :|
The machine gave two versions of Angier (real Angier and a clone). The one with the mastache Lord Cordlow (I think that was his name) is his real name and his real identidy. Robert Angier is a fake identidy/stage name so his familt wouldn't be embarrsed.