Loading...
The 2006 film about rival magicians desperately trying to learn the secrets of each others tricks.

Why can't Borden Remember which knot he tied?

Posts: 18
Don't know if this has been asked,apologies if it has.
Obviously one of the bordens tied the know so one should know right?
Posts: 10169
imo Freddy knows. because he was the one who had tied Julia's hands. but he wouldn't tell the truth to Alfred so Alfred is not sure if he has tied the the double Langford knot or not.
Posts: 9042
Freddy tied the Langford double, but is in denial about it. He claims he tied a simple slip knot. Alfred is pretty sure he saw him tie a Langford double, but can't be sure because Freddy won't admit it. So when Angier asks Alfred, he answers that he doesn't know.
Posts: 264
gothamplague wrote:Don't know if this has been asked,apologies if it has.
Obviously one of the bordens tied the know so one should know right?


i haven't read the book yet but from the movie i got this:

Frederick tied the knot but did not come to pay his respects at the funeral (possibly due to guilt).. his twin Albert did..
and he was telling the truth at the funeral (he was not in denial.. he just wasn't the twin who tied the knot)

since one twin already admitted that he did not know it was only convenient for the twins to say that they both didn't know
in order to preserve the act.. (2 twins saying separate things would destroy the illusion)
Posts: 15900
the answer is quite simple

both brothers could tie both knots...and switched regularly, without any reasoning...prior to her death, the tying of the knot was an insignificant event, so ofcourse it wouldnt register in the brain, because it would seem like an unimportant memory.
Posts: 3861
talli wrote:the answer is quite simple

both brothers could tie both knots...and switched regularly, without any reasoning...prior to her death, the tying of the knot was an insignificant event, so ofcourse it wouldnt register in the brain, because it would seem like an unimportant memory.


That is just downright wrong. They had just had the argument over which not to tie, and Nolan makes a point of showing the interaction between the woman and Borden. The scene is made so that we know the tying of the knot is significant not only to us, but also to both the people involved.
Posts: 15900
theweatherman wrote:
talli wrote:the answer is quite simple

both brothers could tie both knots...and switched regularly, without any reasoning...prior to her death, the tying of the knot was an insignificant event, so ofcourse it wouldnt register in the brain, because it would seem like an unimportant memory.


That is just downright wrong. They had just had the argument over which not to tie, and Nolan makes a point of showing the interaction between the woman and Borden. The scene is made so that we know the tying of the knot is significant not only to us, but also to both the people involved.



yeah but if he casually switches between knots every night, why would it register in his brain? you're basically saying he would have memory of what knot he tied every night of every single performance.
Posts: 3861
I'm saying he doesn't casually switch between knots. Michael Caine forbids him from doing so and the only person on his side is the girl. Then as he is tying the knot the girl and Borden exchange a look that is pretty much her giving him permission to tie the new knot. Based on what is unsaid, I thought it was pretty clear this is the first time he had tried that knot.
Posts: 15900
theweatherman wrote:I'm saying he doesn't casually switch between knots. Michael Caine forbids him from doing so and the only person on his side is the girl. Then as he is tying the knot the girl and Borden exchange a look that is pretty much her giving him permission to tie the new knot. Based on what is unsaid, I thought it was pretty clear this is the first time he had tried that knot.



hmm maybe. But I really think its just him not being able to remember it.
Posts: 3861
Well obviously you can think what you'd like, but that seen of them talking about the knot seems kind of pointless if he already ties it on a semi-regular basis.
Next page →
← Return to The Prestige
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests.