Did the Tesla machine really worked?

The 2006 film about rival magicians desperately trying to learn the secrets of each others tricks.
I cannot say for sure that it didn't work, but I have a sufficient doubt to accept that it did, going by what is shown in the film.

How many people actually had these doubts:
If the machine really works, then
1)f Bordon knew about Tesla and his machine( which he did as per his diary), why would he be intent to give that information to his number one rival Angier, as his diary was specifically intended to be read by Angier.

2)Why would Bordon be still surprised as to how Angier performs the "Real Transported Man" trick?

3)If Tesla was short of funds, why wouldn't he use the machine simply to duplicate money, gold and what not?

4)Why would a director, as talented as Nolan, would deep into some sci fi machine all of a sudden, to solve all the twist in the movie?

So the story just doesn't make sense to me! On the other hand, it makes a lot of sense to consider that the device didn't really clone or anything, it was simply a diversion technique used to trick us, the viewers. That is why Cutter says in the end " You won't find the secret. You want to be fooled." So keep that in mind and then the movie is really a 2 hour long simple magic show, intended to trick its viewers, and that's exactly what it does!

Keeping this in mind, now you can interpret the events like this
1) Bordon, through his diary, sends Angier on a wild goose chase in Colorado to know the trick to "the Real Transported Man" where he meets Tesla. How Bordon knows about Tesla, is not explained in the movie.

2) Tesla tricks Angier( and most of the movie viewers) into believing that he had successfully invented some sort of cloning cum transportation device, with using those cats and hats as a "ruse"( Tell me how much difficult it is to obtain a dozen of identical looking hats and two identical looking black cats- notice that the cats were fully black, and not a very complex color pattern, which makes it easier)

3)Angier receives the device in dubious circumstances, and maybe finds it doesn't work only after he's bought it.

4)But this time, Angier, through his showmanship, tricks Bordon into suspecting that the machine actually works.. and everything else follows...

P.S:

Can you see a tiny air bubble coming through the water in the tank where a dead(?) Angier's body lies, in the last shot of the movie, just before the credits? It pretty much explains everything.

As for the scene when Angier shoots his clone( or other way round?), that can be another lie from Angier as both Angier and Bordon were lying to each other throughout..

I am trying to understand what you said but I'm not sure if I got it.

If I understand you, you believe the ending could be that Angier killed his double when he framed Borden and the machine doesn't work.

My problem with that is the body you see at the end is not the same one that Borden found drowning, the cops would have taken that one and buried him. And what about the rest of the tanks shown in the ending? Who is floating in all of them if the machine doesn't work?

rustum24 wrote: 1)f Bordon knew about Tesla and his machine( which he did as per his diary), why would he be intent to give that information to his number one rival Angier, as his diary was specifically intended to be read by Angier.

2)Why would Bordon be still surprised as to how Angier performs the "Real Transported Man" trick?
Borden actually used it to puzzle his audience with lightening show.To distract them from real trick.His machine was just a prop.
gib sigs

the machine worked...Borden had no idea such a machine existed or could exist

rustum24 wrote:I cannot say for sure that it didn't work, but I have a sufficient doubt to accept that it did, going by what is shown in the film.
watch the movie again, and this time watch it closely, because you obviously missed a lot of the details.£

rustum24 wrote: 3)If Tesla was short of funds, why wouldn't he use the machine simply to duplicate money, gold and what not?
By that time, Tesla didn't know what the machine could do. And even after, Edison's men where already after him, therefore, he was focusing on escaping from them.
rustum24 wrote:1)f Bordon knew about Tesla and his machine( which he did as per his diary), why would he be intent to give that information to his number one rival Angier, as his diary was specifically intended to be read by Angier.

Like it's been said befor, Borden had no idea that a machine like that existed. Remember, Tesla built it like that by accident. "Exact science is not exact science"
rustum24 wrote:4)Why would a director, as talented as Nolan, would deep into some sci fi machine all of a sudden, to solve all the twist in the movie?
It was in the novel it was adapted by.
rustum24 wrote: P.S: [/b]
Can you see a tiny air bubble coming through the water in the tank where a dead(?) Angier's body lies, in the last shot of the movie, just before the credits? It pretty much explains everything.
Just because it's a clone it doesn't mean it can breathe underwater...