The 2006 film about rival magicians desperately trying to learn the secrets of each others tricks.

Who is Borden? Who is Fallon?

Raz
Can anybody answer me why they took turns???I can't seem to find a logical explanation.
I mean each of them could have their life with the woman they loved and when Fallon was needed one of the Bordens could dress himself up like him.Thing is,they took turns even BEFORE Olivia came to work for them.I cannot understand this.What did they gain by that?
I concluded that they were trying so desperately to 'merge' into one person and were so devoted,that each had to live the other's life in order to build the exact same character.This way the trick would be as perfect as possible,because they would be identical not only in apearrance but in character too.This is also shown in the diary which is written by both but seems to have been written by only one person.
Still though this explanation seems a little over the top to me.
Does anyone have a better idea?
they always wanted to share the glory in the prestige of the trick. they knew that if they ever intended on doing the Transported Man (which they always intended to perform, eventually) they couldn't have loose ends. them not taking turns before they performed the trick was a loose end.
Raz
That's a good explanation,but even if we suppose that they shared Angier's vanity,they could just take turns when was show time.
so does anyone know if it was the childs father who survived or the uncle. thats what i want to know.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBDpcjkLOgk

In the above interview Bale talks about why he needed a chart to know how to play each timeline scene. I think he is hinting at the fact that he wanted to know which of the two brothers he was at each given time. As such I think that Bale acted each character in a different way, even if just internally.

Just thought it might fit this thread.
Raz wrote:Can anybody answer me why they took turns???I can't seem to find a logical explanation.
I mean each of them could have their life with the woman they loved and when Fallon was needed one of the Bordens could dress himself up like him.Thing is,they took turns even BEFORE Olivia came to work for them.I cannot understand this.What did they gain by that?
I concluded that they were trying so desperately to 'merge' into one person and were so devoted,that each had to live the other's life in order to build the exact same character.This way the trick would be as perfect as possible,because they would be identical not only in apearrance but in character too.This is also shown in the diary which is written by both but seems to have been written by only one person.
Still though this explanation seems a little over the top to me.
Does anyone have a better idea?

Because one of them can not be the man who is always in the box, You can see angier is asking to borden in climax "are you the man who is in the box or the one come out of the box?"

He wanted to know that because he win if he framed the man who takes the prestige always. The value of the prestige to the magicians is very high. You can see that angier pretending to accept the prestige from the audience when he is understage and his double is on stage in transported man.
Likewise Borden asking to olivia "How did he feel about taking the prestige under the stage?" with a smile in his face. It means he also valued the prestige and he experiencing it onstage atleast by swiching their roles. that's what I saw
← Previous page
← Return to The Prestige