Angier vs. Borden

The 2006 film about rival magicians desperately trying to learn the secrets of each others tricks.
The conflict of rival magicians in The Prestige has given rise to many interpretations of what their conflict symbolizes. Throughout the film, their rivalry is shown to have deeper philosophical meaning and subtext.

I'd like to know what you think Angier's and Borden's rivalry and conflict with each other symbolizes in the film.

I'll have to watch this again, with an eye focused on thematic structure. (I can't believe how long it's been since I've watched this great movie!)

Angier's struggle is that he strives to grasp something unattainable...that stubborn insatiability, with a hint of envy and jealousy . The scene where he refuses to believe that Borden uses a body double is the most revealing about him.

Borden's conflicted with the desires of a perfewctionist, and as a result he must make sacrifices. Also, it seems as if he gets a bit of joy out of danglin the "prize" in front of Angier's face.

I don't think there's any hidden symbolism in these two opposing each other. Their conflict is a result of incompatible personalities. They are meant to destroy each other when they are in contact.

talli wrote:I don't think there's any hidden symbolism in these two opposing each other. Their conflict is a result of incompatible personalities. They are meant to destroy each other when they are in contact.
Interesting, as I saw their conflict as a metaphor for religion vs. science. It's displayed in their methods, Borden's traditional practice and reliance on the "spiritualism" of magic and Angier's reliance on technology and science.

I thought this was also made more apparent with the time period of the film, a world on the brink of an explosion in scientific and technological progress.

ehh, i think that's a huge reach, to make a connection to that.

talli wrote:ehh, i think that's a huge reach, to make a connection to that.
I don't think it is at all. Again, the actual time period and the inclusion of technological pioneers such as Tesla give more weight to that subtext.

Eternalist wrote:
I don't think it is at all. Again, the actual time period and the inclusion of technological pioneers such as Tesla give more weight to that subtext.

Tesla represented the supernatural, though, not science

Edison represented Science, Tesla, the supernatural

or have you forgotten that there was an actual conflict within the science world between Edison and Tesla

talli wrote:
Eternalist wrote:

or have you forgotten that there was an actual conflict within the science world between Edison and Tesla
Ha! See! Now you're getting into it! :mrgreen:

Eternalist wrote:
talli wrote:I don't think there's any hidden symbolism in these two opposing each other. Their conflict is a result of incompatible personalities. They are meant to destroy each other when they are in contact.
Interesting, as I saw their conflict as a metaphor for religion vs. science. It's displayed in their methods, Borden's traditional practice and reliance on the "spiritualism" of magic and Angier's reliance on technology and science.

I thought this was also made more apparent with the time period of the film, a world on the brink of an explosion in scientific and technological progress.

very intresting POV

angier cannot explain to himself how can borden's trick be so simple (because he thinks it's the same man) and yet he's not able to perform it himself. for angier, borden seems to have some kind of communion with magic that he yerns to have but lacks. angier fails to see that this comunion it's not a prize, but something you must create by your own means. the worse blind man is the one who doesn't want to see

Eternalist wrote:

Ha! See! Now you're getting into it! :mrgreen:[/quote]

yeah! i also thought that tesla & edison were like angier & borden :D