So I have a few problems with this movie...

The 2006 film about rival magicians desperately trying to learn the secrets of each others tricks.
From a cinematic view, The Prestige is a work of art. I enjoy watching it simply for the outstanding performances, the score, and the brilliant editing. But am I the only one who was really put off by the final "reveal"? I mean, it's the plot twist that you wait the entire movie for, and then it ended up being so bizarre that I couldn't even appreciate it.

I had no problem with Borden's side of it, except for the fact that Fallon's character really distracted me for the entire film because he never talked and was barely even captured in any of the shots (until the end). He just seemed way too suspicious. But otherwise, I loved the concept of the obsessed twins willing to give their lives to the trick.

Angier's trick, on the other hand, I just never fully grasped. The first time I watched it, I didn't even get the part when there were all those hat duplicates on the ground... mainly because of the fact that, according to the movie, the outrageous concept of duplication is based on Nikola Tesla, who is of course an actual historical figure who experimented with electricity. So basically the film is trying to make the concept of duplication by electricity entirely feasible, and never bats an eye at the fact that it's a stupid concept!

And, mainly just because of the fact that it doesn't make sense to me, I don't understand why he had to constantly drown himself. What was so wrong with allowing multiple versions oh himself to exist? Hell, he could have stuck with one duplicate and just done the trick with two of himself every time!

So ya, that's why I couldn't enjoy this movie as much as I wanted to. And I realize that it's based off a book... I've never read it, so I'm merely judging the film's plot; not the book's.

I'm lazy to write everything all over again and you started a whole topic about it so I guess that means you won't be lazy to read this

http://www.nolanfans.com/forums/viewtop ... =13&t=1439

Here we had a huge discussion on different aspects of the film and you might find some of the answers you are looking for.

hey, thanks for the link! Sorry for not searching for such a thread before reviving a worn-out topic.

Dude, I really admire your deep insight! RESPECT. I see the film in a different light now... I'll have to watch it again!

I guess the practical side of me just instantly repels the seemingly obvious absurdity of the final secret, but you're absolutely right... it's not the point Nolan is trying to make.

PseudoHawk wrote:hey, thanks for the link! Sorry for not searching for such a thread before reviving a worn-out topic.

Dude, I really admire your deep insight! RESPECT. I see the film in a different light now... I'll have to watch it again!

I guess the practical side of me just instantly repels the seemingly obvious absurdity of the final secret, but you're absolutely right... it's not the point Nolan is trying to make.
Hey, I'm glad I could show a different perspective to you. To be honest the first time I saw The Prestige I really didn't want the twist to turn out to be what it eventually was, but i left some room for 'doubt' (which is ofcourse Nolan's main tool) and on the other day I watched it again and noticed several other things, which then lead to everything I wrote there, but I think you should keep reading that thread, since many other people presented a lot of additional and very important info and also things that I've missed so... It's a good thread, all I'm saying.

What's been said there is also why I think Prestige and Inception are so close together even after Nolan said he didn't intend to do a film about moviemaking it's just what those both movie turned out to be surprisingly enough. And ofcourse the main common thing - doubt and the means of missdirection (for example the totem being a distraction from all those other really important things in Inception).