UNDERRATED piece

The 2006 film about rival magicians desperately trying to learn the secrets of each others tricks.
Cilogy wrote:Well yeah I can agree with that, it definitely makes it more special when less people know about it.

But if The Prestige had grossed more and had more recognition, it would still remain a masterpiece.

I relate it to the fact that a lot of people don't like TDK simply because it has a HUGE fanbase. Well fuck that, I loved that movie. People need to see films for what they, not for what others think they are.
Yea, I never understood why people judge movies based off their popularity. :|

hoppity-kick wrote:I had watched it the first time, and I was not that impressed. I thought for the time being that I was cheated, that in order to bring a twist, the film had to go to a shift of genre elements so as to deliver the PRESTIGE of it. Few months had passed and I watched it again. And I have to say, this is a very UNDERRATED piece of Chris Nolan. For the third time, I was convinced that this film is Nolan's greatest in terms of storytelling. I was wrong the first time. We were prepared in a subtle way what has to come in the third act of the film. I think that critics looked at it the same way I did, but they were wrong. They abruptly judged the film and easily dismissed it as confusing.
I hear ya... it's definitely a film that needs to to grow on you. I just watched it for the third time the other night, and was able to appreciate it in such a different way (thanks to some insight from prince0gothem, actually!), and now I realize that it truly is one of Nolan's finest works. For me, it surpasses Memento and even Inception. This is my second favorite Nolan film next to the Dark Knight.

PseudoHawk wrote: I hear ya... it's definitely a film that needs to to grow on you. I just watched it for the third time the other night, and was able to appreciate it in such a different way (thanks to some insight from prince0gothem, actually!), and now I realize that it truly is one of Nolan's finest works. For me, it surpasses Memento and even Inception. This is my second favorite Nolan film next to the Dark Knight.
There you go. But for me, it didn't surpass the brilliance of Memento and Inception. All of Nolan's films were brilliantly executed, whether in terms of emotion and the intellect. But Memento, Inception and The Dark Knight are just so groundbreaking that it did raise the bar of contemporary filmmaking. So to me, it's 4th great Nolan film.
But I really do understood people who prefer The Prestige over those three favorites of mine. The Prestige is that magically great. :D

This is Nolan's best.

'This is the one they're going to remember me for' - Alfred Bordon

The Prestige is fighting with TDK for Best Nolan Film :mrgreen:

I think this much more than a film, TDK, Inception and the other are just films, this one is a magician trick shown to the audience! :clap:

And I also consider the ending (from Angier/Cutter's speech to credits) of The Prestige the best I've ever seen (I don't mean the twist, but the atmosphere, the dialogues and the emotions) :clap: :clap:

horsehead wrote:There are days when I consider this to be my favorite movie ever.
It's my favorite movie ever.

This is his best film so far... its this or Memento.

I dont think its his best, but I think its probably Nolan's most complex, with relation to the the mixed up plot and scenes and the clever editing.

I also think its pretty cool that the line "are you watching closely?" pretty much sums up Nolan's films.

Love this movie so much, and I find you really appreciate it more after a few viewings. Which is probably why it's reviews are way worse than they should be.