UNDERRATED piece

The 2006 film about rival magicians desperately trying to learn the secrets of each others tricks.
I had watched it the first time, and I was not that impressed. I thought for the time being that I was cheated, that in order to bring a twist, the film had to go to a shift of genre elements so as to deliver the PRESTIGE of it. Few months had passed and I watched it again. And I have to say, this is a very UNDERRATED piece of Chris Nolan. For the third time, I was convinced that this film is Nolan's greatest in terms of storytelling. I was wrong the first time. We were prepared in a subtle way what has to come in the third act of the film. I think that critics looked at it the same way I did, but they were wrong. They abruptly judged the film and easily dismissed it as confusing.

And oh, the twists are fruitful one. It's not like the ones we saw on SAW where they delivered a twist that doesn't enrich the essence and theme of the film. Twist's aim is not just to shock the audience - which this film has proven. I hate twists which shock for the sake of shock. The Prestige, just like the magician's prestige, deserves a deafening clap.

I agree.This is very underrated movie and it definetly deserves more recognition.

I love the Prestige. I think it has the best dialogue of any Christopher Nolan movie.

There are days when I consider this to be my favorite movie ever.

This is still my favorite Nolan movie to be honest,when i first sa this i was like WOW what did i just see?.
a film like 'Inception' (also a great movie) is in my idea not better then this one,The Prestige has in fact more layers,when you watch it again and again you will find something diffrent everytime,the end of the movie is not really a end.
Everything that happens before the movie ends is much more intresting. :clap:

I think one of the reasons this movie is perfect is because its so underrated and hardly anyone knows about it.
I wouldn't like it if everyone was talking about it. I love that its this little 'cult' film a select few know about ; those that do know about it think its the best film ever :)

James wrote:I think one of the reasons this movie is perfect is because its so underrated and hardly anyone knows about it.
I wouldn't like it if everyone was talking about it. I love that its this little 'cult' film a select few know about ; those that do know about it think its the best film ever :)
So are you seriously telling me that if more people knew about it, it would have somehow actually made this film worse than it already is?

:lol:
If she plays cranium she gives good brainium.

Yeah I don't buy that. I wish everyone knew about/loved the Prestige.

Cilogy wrote:
James wrote:I think one of the reasons this movie is perfect is because its so underrated and hardly anyone knows about it.
So are you seriously telling me that if more people knew about it, it would have somehow actually made this film worse than it already is?

:lol:
no of course it wouldnt be 'worse'.to me and my mates it just feels more special because not a huge amount of people know about it. a rare gem.

Well yeah I can agree with that, it definitely makes it more special when less people know about it.

But if The Prestige had grossed more and had more recognition, it would still remain a masterpiece.

I relate it to the fact that a lot of people don't like TDK simply because it has a HUGE fanbase. Well fuck that, I loved that movie. People need to see films for what they, not for what others think they are.
If she plays cranium she gives good brainium.