Unable to figure out ???

The 2006 film about rival magicians desperately trying to learn the secrets of each others tricks.
I know they did (check my first post in this thread) it's just that there's a slight difference. It's easier to associate the frontman with the name Borden, since that's the name the characters in the movie attach to that face. On the other hand, as I already said, it's just a name and in the movie there's not enough indications about who's actually who. We know that one's a bitttt more obsessed with magic and the other one's a bit more agressive and impulsive, but that's it. And it's also possible that neither of the two names is real. They're con men, they might have created those identities long time ago.

prince0gotham wrote: It was actually Fallon who fell in love with Sarah. Borden loved Olivia I think, because when Olivia came up to him... the way he joked around about Angier bowing under the stage... it felt really personal.
I'm assuming you're saying Borden=the one who prefers to be called Alfred, and Fallon=the one who prefers to be called Freddy when not in disguise, correct?

If so, then it's Borden who falls in love with Sarah, not Fallon. Fallon falls in love with Olivia.

steveportee wrote:
prince0gotham wrote: It was actually Fallon who fell in love with Sarah. Borden loved Olivia I think, because when Olivia came up to him... the way he joked around about Angier bowing under the stage... it felt really personal.
I'm assuming you're saying Borden=the one who prefers to be called Alfred, and Fallon=the one who prefers to be called Freddy when not in disguise, correct?

If so, then it's Borden who falls in love with Sarah, not Fallon. Fallon falls in love with Olivia.
The opposite. Borden=Borden;Alfred;Freddy=the one who lets Olivia call him Freddy. Fallon is just Fallon for me. It just makes sense for me for the more talented and involved one of the brothers (not that much more involved but a bit) to be Borden and to be the one with the mistress with all its negative connotations, although it's not really a mistress, since they're two people.

Borden/Alfred/Freddy is also the one who gives orders, Fallon is the one who is more likely to prefer taking them. Again, it's not really a master-servant relationship, it's just that the one has more of a decision maker role and more initiative.

Borden/Alfred/Freddy is the one that would prefer confronting Angier indirectly. Fallon seems to me like the one that would sabotage that bird trick.

The only proof about all this, that I have is, the logic of the bird trick. If we assume that Borden is the one we see first (the one arguing about the nots, the one figuring out the Chung Ling Soo trick and so on) then he's the one that's supposed to die, so that his brother, Fallon, is the one that get's back. In other words the twin that says "I'm sorry about Sarah" is actually Borden, therefore Borden loved Olivia. Fallon was the one who lived and killed Angier. The lucky brother bird. I don't have enough evidence about all the rest. It's more of an image thing and I guess we're not really supposed to know. I mean the one that killed Angier could've just said who's who, but he chose to be vague and just said "We were both Fallon and Borden". I still think Fallon killed Angier though, because as I said, it makes sense within the bird trick logic.

I'm not gonna lie. I don't understand your last post at all.

The fact that you keep referring to them as "Borden" and"Fallon" makes no sense to me. The only logical way to differentiate the two is to call them "Alfred" and "Freddy" since the movie spells out that one brother prefers to be called Alfred, while the other prefers Freddy. This makes it easy to differentiate the two.

Calling one Borden and one Fallon is just confusing to me, because at any one time during the story, one of the brothers is dressed as Borden, while the other is dressed as Fallon, and they switch periodically throughout. So using those terms to tell them apart seems unnecessarily confusing.

The important stuff is underlined and I think the underlined bit is clear enough. + your suggestion could prove to be equally confusing, since Alfred and Freddie as names for roles/characters only differ in those characters' relationship with Olivia, which is a quite smaller detail than the other thing I mentioned, which is larger and more important. Anyway I'll translate it to you.

Borden/Freddie(I don't get what's so confusing in the use of these names having in mind I already explained which names I use for which characters and here I am doing it again) is the leader or "the guy with the initiative and the plan". Fallon/Alfred is less of a decision maker. He's also in love with Sarah, while Borden/Freddie is obviously in love with Olivia. Borden/Freddie is the one arguing about the knots in the beginning of the movie. He's also the one in the prison cell. (If he started all this and if he's the one for whom the feud with Angier is more personal, then it's only logical for him to be the one who couldn't help himself go bellow that stage, who ends up reading Angier's diary and who ends up being the bird-brother that dies).

Fallon/Alfred, being the more agressive one, asked Borden/Freddie angrily why he couldn't outthink Angier. He then told Borden/Freddie that they're done and that they should leave him alone. (this might fool people that it's Borden/Freddie/the-decision-taker speaking, but it's actually Fallon/Alfred, mainly because he's the one who's feeling less involved in this fight, so it's easier for him to let go. It wasn't easy for Borden/Freddie and that's why he got framed).

Borden/Freddie is the one loving Olivia. He's the one in prison. That's why he says "I'm sorry about Sarah", since his relationship with Olivia ruined everything. Fallon/Alfred was the prestige. The bird-brother that lives.

OK I understand now thanks for clarifying.

If you read the other thread, you'll find all the answers there already.