[SPOILER] The Last Frame...

The 2006 film about rival magicians desperately trying to learn the secrets of each others tricks.
Slask wrote:actually there's an interesting theory about a twisted final...

...what if the machine doesn't work, and clone don't exist? what if Angier has done 99 shows always with his double, and then he just killed him the last night (show n° 100).
Think about it.. the last frame shows us just "one" body clearly...
That wouldn't make any sense for a number of reasons:
-We see two separate instances of a clone being killed
-Angier already used a double earlier in the movie, and decided that it wasn't good enough for him.
-Before the final shot, we see the image of all the hats outside Tesla's. I think that significance of that image is obvious.
-Nolan never tries in any way to suggest that Angier used a double the whole time.

steveportee wrote: That wouldn't make any sense for a number of reasons:
-We see two separate instances of a clone being killed
told by Angier = lies
steveportee wrote: -Angier already used a double earlier in the movie, and decided that it wasn't good enough for him.
but he knew he couldn't do better, when he discovered Tesla's machine didn't work.
steveportee wrote: -Before the final shot, we see the image of all the hats outside Tesla's. I think that significance of that image is obvious.
Nolan likes playing with audiences
steveportee wrote: -Nolan never tries in any way to suggest that Angier used a double the whole time.
Nolan puts clues everywhere in his movies... maybe this one wouldn't be the solution of the movie, but nothing prevents me from thinking the opposite.

Angier holds his breath in the final shot :)

tykjen wrote:Angier holds his breath in the final shot :)
That makes no sense.

steveportee wrote:That makes no sense.
Of course not to a layman like you :P

Does he really look dead to you? It looks more and more to me like he is holding his breath in the last shot. Angier keeps on living, no big deal. Ever read the novel? No? I suggest you TRY.

The above statement is just someone being ridiculous and sarcastic, I'm sure.

Anyway, to the original poster:
I agree that we the audience have figured it out (hopefully). However, Borden doesn't know. More importantly, he doesn't care. Angier was obsessed with finding out the trick that Borden used. So much so, that he was willing to sell his soul (so to speak) and make the sacrifice of himself, dying over and over in each performance. (This is not at all like the book though it is a good read.)
From Borden's perspective, he made the greater sacrifice, losing his wife, to keep his secret of how the trick is done. Angier is no magician. He murdered himself, even the very first time he used the machine. All of his performances were designed to trap and falsely have Borden executed. If only Angier had been willing to sacrifice the applause while finishing under the stage.
The human drama and emotions of revenge, obsession, and transformation (like Angier originally not wanting to kill the bird) are the real magic that many miss while trying to figure out what is happening in the story. Bravo Nolan! And having 'Borden' get his revenge by killing Angier was the 'Pièce de résistance'. Too bad Angier didn't let even one 'clone' survive.

The above statement is probably from someone who wants to be fooled 8-)

If he's still alive, then why is he hiding in the tank in the first place? What purpose does that serve? There's no reason for a live Angier to be sitting there in the tank holding his breath. And how could he possibly hold his breath the entire time Borden is there?

Your theory doesn't make sense.

A cloning machine that copies everything including consciousness does not make a lot of sense either. But since that is accepted, why can't one Angier be holding his breath for 10minutes+? Perhaps Angier wanted to fool the Borden's? The final quote by Caine overhear at the ending is an indicator as well to that something is not quite what it seems. For what else would it be there? Misdirection? Oh please, the entire film is a misdirection :P

Look at that pic again. Does it not look like he is keeping his mouth closed with his lips? He simply does not look like someone who died kicking and screaming to me.

tykjen wrote:The above statement is probably from someone who wants to be fooled 8-)
It is actually you who wants to be fooled. ;)