The Showman vs. The Magician

The 2006 film about rival magicians desperately trying to learn the secrets of each others tricks.
I think that the whole "showman vs. magician" thing was a very interesting part of the film. I couldn't help but to relate it to movie making after awhile.

I'm not saying this was Nolan's intended purpose (though if it was, it's just another brilliant layer to the film), but it is still interesting to relate the two.

Michael Bay is a tremendous showman. For all that is said about him, I believe a good amount of people are entertained while watching his movies, including me. Maybe after I watch his movies a second time the plot seems a little far fetched or dumb, but theres some good action and humor to keep me entertained.

Some feel that Darren Arnofsky (pardon spelling) is a wonderful magician, but it is probably fair to say he is a dreadfull showman. I like his films but you won't find too many casual movie watchers that A. know who he is or B. enjoy his films.

micheal bay
be ready to be hackled.

bret_meholick wrote:Michael Bay is a tremendous showman.
If she plays cranium she gives good brainium.

Is it on the DVD where someone (maybe even Bale?) is comparing Jackman and Bale in this same way? They point out that Jackman is song-and-dance showman with a Broadway background, and Bale is more method or something to that effect. I always loved that observation about the actors.

I mean, up until Batman Begins, Bale's career consisted of roles ranging from criminally overlooked, to minor, to downright stupid, but really nailing every one. It seemed like he was squandering his immense talent sometimes. Jackman is great, but he's the one doing award shows, appearing on the magazine covers, etc.