Do you side with one of the characters?

The 2006 film about rival magicians desperately trying to learn the secrets of each others tricks.
Was watching this wonderful movie again last night and as it continued I started to think about who what character I was more sympathetic to. Whilst Angier lost his wife and Alfred was the one who tied the knot, he didn't actually mean to kill his wife and it was Angier who then subsequently blew the fingers off Alfred thus starting the escaltion of their rivalry. Whilst I do believe that Alfred was deeply flawed himself and the subsequent developments involving his wife could have been rectified by telling her the truth, the end game of Angier's plan and how he tries to get his final revenge on Alfred was really going too far. Planning to steal a man's child and frame him for murder is a really dark and despicable thing to do.

How do others feel when watching The Prestige?

I sided with Alfred and his brother. Mostly because of their daughter/niece.

But I totally understand that both are kinda at fault, so I am kinda reluctant to choose sides. But man, the dude had a daughter! You don't try and mess things up when its a child's life that could be affected! D:

chee wrote:I sided with Alfred and his brother. Mostly because of their daughter/niece.

But I totally understand that both are kinda at fault, so I am kinda reluctant to choose sides. But man, the dude had a daughter! You don't try and mess things up when its a child's life that could be affected! D:

Yeah exactly. I really feel for Alfred when he is screaming after his daughter as Angier leaves the prison with her. The only failing for me with Alfred is the relationship with Sarah. I know he was dedicated to his craft, but he should have told Sarah. I always wondered if the brother that was in love with Sarah struggled with keeping her in the dark, because he genuinely seemed to love her, but I suppose his love for his daughter/niece was something of a redemptive quality.

I side with the good Borden. I pretty much hate the other two and am supposed to do so.

I like Borden more than Angier. And that is the same sentiment I had with both the film and the book.

Good Borden, although rash Borden also had his good qualities. They both had to, since they both sacrificed so much for each other.

Angier was selfish all the way through. That was ultimately his downfall, since he had no qualms about killing copies of himself around 100x. He couldn't share the limelight like the Bordens did.

That and the kid thing. :lol:

I started with Angier but towards the end
when Angier buried Fallon
i sided with Borden

The great thing about the prestige was that you were never sure who you were supposed to like :) But I leaned to Jackman :)

Borden for sure. But, yea, at first I was with Angier. it was at the end where a sided with Borden

chee wrote:I sided with Alfred and his brother. Mostly because of their daughter/niece.

I agree. Angier was just a cold guy.