David Julyan's Score in The Prestige

The 2006 film about rival magicians desperately trying to learn the secrets of each others tricks.
Just watched a bit of the movie, but I think the score is pretty effective but not very ambitious by any means. And it sounds almost exactly like the score used for both Memento and Insomnia. I'm grateful for Julian's work but at the same time I'm very happy that Nolan switched over to Zimmer.

I guess I'm in the minority, but I loved the music in the prestige. Created an amazing mood/atmosphere. I think it's the best thing Julyan's done, much better than Memento or Insomnia IMO.

chee wrote:Not memorable.

He did great on the Memento and Following's score though.
He did incredible score on Memento and pretty memorable score on Follwing...but his score for prestige...i forget it as soon as i watched the movie...

You guys are nuts :crazy: His score for the prestige is WAY better than his score for memento. The music in the prestige is amazing, I don't get why no one else agrees with me

I with you dude, I love The Prestige score! It's perfect for the film - I wouldn't want it any other way!

I'm secretly hoping Nolan goes back to Julyan.

TeddyBlass wrote:I with you dude, I love The Prestige score! It's perfect for the film - I wouldn't want it any other way!

I would like to see Nolan working with Julyan again on some smaller Nolan film(and that he would create something MUCH better then prestige score).

TeddyBlass wrote:I with you dude, I love The Prestige score! It's perfect for the film - I wouldn't want it any other way!

I am too.

Or for Zimmer to compose something that isn't bombastic for Batman 3.

Zimmers scores are terrific, one of my favourite things about TDK, BB and Inception. Julyans scores aren't so memorable... but they fit the films nicely.

Darkception wrote:Zimmers scores are terrific, one of my favourite things about TDK, BB and Inception. Julyans scores aren't so memorable... but they fit the films nicely.
I would say that Julyans score for Memento was unforgettable but yeah you will always remember score done by Hans Zimmer :)

I enjoy both Julyan and Zimmer's compositions. But Julyans work is much harder to listen to on its own, and they are very emotional pieces.

Bottom line is Julyans work is not very easy on listening, it has to have the specific visuals of the movie it's written for in order for it to be effective.