This film seems to get a lot of hate

Christopher's 2005 reboot of the Batman franchise that tells the origins of how Bruce Wayne became Batman.
Hate? This film is the shiznit.
Do you... like pineapple?

jibran wrote:Hate? This film is the shiznit.
Shiznit? What does that mean?

Quite simply, I think this film is very good.
Do you... like pineapple?

I have heard a lot of people take shots at it lately. I love it. It would be on my top 20 favorite movies of all time. TDK is a top 5 for me, but BB is really good. I think a lot of Nolan fans say it's his worst because it has the most "cheese" compared to his other movies, and yes it does, but it is a very intelligently crafted CBM non the less. TDK was not a CBM. It just did not feel like one at all, BB almost didn't, mainly the first act with the League. It became one later, though. I have no problem with that, but many do. To me the only really flaw was the kind of silly doomsday scenario crafted at the end (fear toxin water supply stolen microsave emitter... yeaah), but regardless that don't take away from what the film is as a whole.

I wouldn't worry too much about what people say though. In the end, I have yet to see a list of, for example the 20 or 25 best CBM of all time, that does not include Batman Begins in the top 10 best CBM of all time. People forget when that movie first came out back in 05, before anybody ever had a clue about TDK and it did not exist, BB was considered one of the best comic book movies. It was respected by many for its dark and gritty tone and "realism." It was respected that there was no whining Mary Janes in the movie, unlike some superhero movies we have come to know. It was very respected. It wasn't a huge hit, but it was successful and got good reviews, and on Rotten it still holds an 85%. Than after TDK it became successful again. Basically, screw what those people are saying. The movie is just great. I think most of it comes from Marvel fans who are annoyed that they don't have anything on the level of TDK, so they take shots at BB to feel better about themselves because as much as many of them would hate to admit it they love TDK. Oh, and btw I am a Marvel fan, so I'm not insulting Marvel or most fans. I am only talking about a small but very local minority, on some forums.

ComptonTerry wrote:I have heard a lot of people take shots at it lately. I love it. It would be on my top 20 favorite movies of all time. TDK is a top 5 for me, but BB is really good. I think a lot of Nolan fans say it's his worst because it has the most "cheese" compared to his other movies, and yes it does, but it is a very intelligently crafted CBM non the less. TDK was not a CBM. It just did not feel like one at all, BB almost didn't, mainly the first act with the League. It became one later, though. I have no problem with that, but many do. To me the only really flaw was the kind of silly doomsday scenario crafted at the end (fear toxin water supply stolen microsave emitter... yeaah), but regardless that don't take away from what the film is as a whole.

I wouldn't worry too much about what people say though. In the end, I have yet to see a list of, for example the 20 or 25 best CBM of all time, that does not include Batman Begins in the top 10 best CBM of all time. People forget when that movie first came out back in 05, before anybody ever had a clue about TDK and it did not exist, BB was considered one of the best comic book movies. It was respected by many for its dark and gritty tone and "realism." It was respected that there was no whining Mary Janes in the movie, unlike some superhero movies we have come to know. It was very respected. It wasn't a huge hit, but it was successful and got good reviews, and on Rotten it still holds an 85%. Than after TDK it became successful again. Basically, screw what those people are saying. The movie is just great. I think most of it comes from Marvel fans who are annoyed that they don't have anything on the level of TDK, so they take shots at BB to feel better about themselves because as much as many of them would hate to admit it they love TDK. Oh, and btw I am a Marvel fan, so I'm not insulting Marvel or most fans. I am only talking about a small but very local minority, on some forums.
You have my utmost respect.
thedarklordrises wrote:Sorry but it's obviously his weakest. It's the movie no one talks about along with Insomnia. Batman Begins is an average superhero movie. The Dark Knight however is a masterpiece. There's a reason why hardly anyone talks about this movie and everyone loves The Dark Knight you know.
Seriously, speak for yourself.
I do not agree with Begins being Nolan's weakest film, nor Insomnia. Though I do not like Insomnia, I can still see it's a great movie. Unlike many who's blind by "the public".
And saying Begins is mediocre or bad is the same as indirectly insulting all CB adaptions.

This as always bothered me

Sigs???

TehBatGetsBraked wrote:This as always bothered me

Now that you've mentioned it... :eh: Guess I've always focused my attention to the twist and never noticed that. Nice catch!

TehBatGetsBraked wrote:This as always bothered me

I've always think she's one of Ra's people since after that scene she walks away with the fake Ra's.

While I think the storyline in Batman Begins is broader in terms of scope, the movie suffers slightly when compared to The Dark Knight. For one, to me, it seems as if Nolan hadn't found his footing technically as an action director during Batman Begins production. I've recently read that Nolan likes to shoot quite rapidly as to not over-think a take. So that it feels instinctual as opposed to (overly) premeditated. The action scenes suffer a bit from that. Once in the editing room, he had to make quick cuts and it's hard to discern what happens during the fight scenes. I know that Nolan stated that it was a creative choice to put the audience in the perspective of the criminals but they are some instances (i.e. the prison fight scene) where it doesn't seem so.

My other gripe with Begins is that the whole third act action scene seems like one big set piece on a soundstage. You don't get that feeling with the Dark Knight since it was shot on location in Chicago. There's very little sky in the frames on Batman Begins as it was shot indoors in the big hangar in England.

Other than that, if I had to grade both film I'd give TDK a slight edge, but not by that much.

daveyf wrote:While I think the storyline in Batman Begins is broader in terms of scope, the movie suffers slightly when compared to The Dark Knight. For one, to me, it seems as if Nolan hadn't found his footing technically as an action director during Batman Begins production. I've recently read that Nolan likes to shoot quite rapidly as to not over-think a take. So that it feels instinctual as opposed to (overly) premeditated. The action scenes suffer a bit from that. Once in the editing room, he had to make quick cuts and it's hard to discern what happens during the fight scenes. I know that Nolan stated that it was a creative choice to put the audience in the perspective of the criminals but they are some instances (i.e. the prison fight scene) where it doesn't seem so.

My other gripe with Begins is that the whole third act action scene seems like one big set piece on a soundstage. You don't get that feeling with the Dark Knight since it was shot on location in Chicago. There's very little sky in the frames on Batman Begins as it was shot indoors in the big hangar in England.

Other than that, if I had to grade both film I'd give TDK a slight edge, but not by that much.