Batman Begins was mediocre compared to Dark Knight

Christopher's 2005 reboot of the Batman franchise that tells the origins of how Bruce Wayne became Batman.
I've recently been wondering why Batman Begins wasn't seemingly as good as TDK. I realize now that it was the atmosphere Mr. Nolan created in TDK that really set it apart from its predecessor. Whereas the first film used a fair amount of CGI (for the monorail, downtown Gotham, etc.), the second set itself apart in its realism with the practical effects and such. Because the latter felt more grounded in reality, it therefore felt grittier and darker than before. Throw in a remarkable - though annoyingly overrated - performance by Heath Ledger, and you have a movie that draws you in as well as unsettles you.

It was a positive change, IMO. To me, it was all something that made TDK much more...Nolan-esque.

Tristy wrote:I've recently been wondering why Batman Begins wasn't seemingly as good as TDK. I realize now that it was the atmosphere Mr. Nolan created in TDK that really set it apart from its predecessor. Whereas the first film used a fair amount of CGI (for the monorail, downtown Gotham, etc.), the second set itself apart in its realism with the practical effects and such. Because the latter felt more grounded in reality, it therefore felt grittier and darker than before. Throw in a remarkable - though annoyingly overrated - performance by Heath Ledger, and you have a movie that draws you in as well as unsettles you.

It was a positive change, IMO. To me, it was all something that made TDK much more...Nolan-esque.
Ledger's performance overrated? LOL! He was the best thing about the movie, he literally stole the show from the Batman character.

Though I agree with what you say about Batman Begins, the horrible CGI ruined that movie. Plus the story was kinda medicore and dull compared to Dark Knight.

Ledger's performance overrated? LOL! He was the best thing about the movie, he literally stole the show from the Batman character.
Granted, his performance was truly amazing, but many people seem to give all the credit to him. I, for one, am not willing to go that far....

Batman Begins is not mediocre at all. It's the first chapter of a trilogy, the one that introduces us to the world of Bruce Wayne and Gotham City. If you love The Dark Knight, is because Batman Begins set you up properly for that. The cast is flawless. It's screenplay presents key elements of the Batman's universe, skillfully combined in classic (Gotham City, the Narrows, Arkham Asylum, Wayne Manor) and modern concepts (batsuit, Tumbler). As always, Wally Pfister's cinematography is fantastic. For the first time ever, two of the best score composers of our time (James Newton Howard and Hans Zimmer), came together in a memorable soundtrack. It's epilogue keeps us waiting for what's to come when Gordon shows the Joker card. A perfect chapter one.

The Dark Knight is fantastic, with more bleak, realistic colors and set in a mostly modern space. It's the second chapter, the one with no happy ending (much like The Empire Strikes Back in the Star Wars saga, also a second chapter with no happy ending). Jonathan Nolan makes a great difference. Again, music, cinematography and design are excellent. And the cast... fantastic. Apart from the great performance of Aaron Eckhart as Harvey Dent, Nolan's choice in casting Heath Ledger was nothing less than courageous and genius. Ledger deserves all the recognition for his work. He had just played the gay cowboy in Brokeback Mountain and had to top Jack Nicholson's Joker. He did it. He really stole the movie. He was an exceptional actor. And yes, Batman talks funny.

In the end, I guess we'll really see the whole big picture after Rises.

I've found TDK to be less rewarding on re-watch than Batman Begins was.

Batman Begins had Liam Neeson case closed.

dawsdgd wrote:Batman Begins had Liam Neeson case closed.
Oh yeah! Liam, Freeman and Caine. What a supporting cast! But personally, what I really felt after seeing BB was "Finally! A Batman movie made by someone who really understands the character!".

I just finished watching BB again and I still find it more satisfying than TDK. The way the story builds up to him becoming Batman is fantastic and perfectly paced. I also loved the way Batman was so mysterious to the criminals and just popped out of nowhere and snatched them fools, but that was lacking in TDK. I like TDK a lot,but at times it got tiresome with all the joker plots that had to be foiled. It made it not as cohesive as BB. I know that's just the nature of the beast because the joker is all over the place but nonetheless it got tiring for me. BB also gets points for the fear toxin Batman. I have to say though the ending of TDK was so powerful. Hopefully TDKR will bring the the best out of both these movies and be the best one. But it just gets me when people say that TDKR can't beat TDK because TDK in my opinion already got beaten by BB.

I clearly prefer Batman Begins. My biggest problem with the dark knight is the lack of atmosphere. Dark knight`s Gotham has zero atmosphere. I relly hope the new movie brings back the great mood of BB.

Batman Begins was more atmospheric and it had a tighter story arc, but TDK was much more ambitious, if a little sprawling at times. I'd say I like them both equally, but I will admit I did not like TDK the first time I saw it. Mostly because the third act is so fucking massive and has so much going on that it almost collapses under its own weight.

But once you see it a few times it all falls into place.