Why So Underapreciated?

Christopher's 2005 reboot of the Batman franchise that tells the origins of how Bruce Wayne became Batman.
Batman Begins is better. Thats my final thought on it.

I just watched this again today and I came to a conclusion. I have come to believe that this is Nolan's safest film (though I still love it). Unlike all of his other films the themes and undertones are on the surface. Most of his films are infused with nothing but dense dialogue that can be dissected and discussed with each new viewing of the film. Here it seems much simpler. Bruce's journey is all on the screen there is very little that can be discussed. It is a very interesting journey, but it isn't complicated or complex, the story allows you to sit back and enjoy the film (not a bad thing).

The Dark Knight however is incredibly ambitious and never lets you take a breath. It seems that every piece of dialogue and every scene in the movie means something and contributes something to the themes presented. The more I think about the film the more I learn about it and the more I respect the storytelling.

Batman Begins feels more like a superhero movie and less like a Nolan film than the Dark Knight does. I still thoroughly enjoy it and think it is probably the second best superhero movie ever made, but it just feels much more ordinary than the rest of Nolan's films.

It makes sense that this would be the case as well, since he was given the helm of one of the most widely loved and most expansive franchises in our culture with no experience in large productions. He was constrained to the origin story of Batman and to Warner Brothers' expectations of what a blockbuster movie is. I don't think he was able to inject as much of his heart into this film as he did his others.

I expect to get some hate for this, but I am ready to defend myself or pick up some new insights into the film.

Eternalist wrote:It came off of the franchise-killer Batman & Robin and wasn't marketed as well as it could have been. A lot of people didn't know that it wasn't in the same continuity as the past films. I know a lot of people who never saw it in theatres because of that (another Batman movie?!) but later saw it on DVD and kicked themselves for not seeing it in the theatre.
Yeah. Marketing could have been alot better.

Delta0Medusa wrote:
Eternalist wrote:It came off of the franchise-killer Batman & Robin and wasn't marketed as well as it could have been. A lot of people didn't know that it wasn't in the same continuity as the past films. I know a lot of people who never saw it in theatres because of that (another Batman movie?!) but later saw it on DVD and kicked themselves for not seeing it in the theatre.
Yeah. Marketing could have been alot better.
I was always surprised that it only made the amount that it did. When I went to see it, it had already been out for a week or two and it was still a pretty packed screening.
theweatherman wrote:I just watched this again today and I came to a conclusion. I have come to believe that this is Nolan's safest film (though I still love it). Unlike all of his other films the themes and undertones are on the surface. Most of his films are infused with nothing but dense dialogue that can be dissected and discussed with each new viewing of the film. Here it seems much simpler. Bruce's journey is all on the screen there is very little that can be discussed. It is a very interesting journey, but it isn't complicated or complex, the story allows you to sit back and enjoy the film (not a bad thing).

The Dark Knight however is incredibly ambitious and never lets you take a breath. It seems that every piece of dialogue and every scene in the movie means something and contributes something to the themes presented. The more I think about the film the more I learn about it and the more I respect the storytelling.

Batman Begins feels more like a superhero movie and less like a Nolan film than the Dark Knight does. I still thoroughly enjoy it and think it is probably the second best superhero movie ever made, but it just feels much more ordinary than the rest of Nolan's films.

It makes sense that this would be the case as well, since he was given the helm of one of the most widely loved and most expansive franchises in our culture with no experience in large productions. He was constrained to the origin story of Batman and to Warner Brothers' expectations of what a blockbuster movie is. I don't think he was able to inject as much of his heart into this film as he did his others.

I expect to get some hate for this, but I am ready to defend myself or pick up some new insights into the film.
That's a good write up Weatherman, I absoloutly understand and appreciate everything you've wrote there, I think Batman Begins is probably his most accessible film and, despite the non linear narrative in the opening stages, his most streamlined film. He had the good sense to do a film like this and then get to let rip with big budgets on movies like The Prestige and Inception and to really enforce a personal vision on to The Dark Knight. Personally I love Batman Begins and I love how Nolan treats the more mainstream aspects of the film, like the big Bond esque finale when the League of Shadows try to corrupt the water supply. I always get the sense Nolan actually enjoyed himself here.

I remember when Batman Begins was about to come out and how I had absolutely no interest in it what so ever. I was 15 years old at the time and still had a bitter taste from "Batman & Robin" in my mouth. The Batman nerd in me knew I was gonna go see it anyway but I hadn't even bothered to get any info on it other then I knew it was a reboot and that Scarecrow was the villain. I went opening night and within the first 5 minutes I was blown away by how much better this was then I ever expected. It immediately got me back into comics (more so Batman) and gave me great hope for a live action Batman to get the respect it deserves. As time has gone on Batman Begins IMO has only gotten better. I only have one complaint but it's so minor in the grand scheme of things that to complain would be nitpicking. Batman Begins reignited a lot of things in me and there are some parts that no matter how many times I see them I get a wonderful feeling from them.

I love Batman Begins, and it sucks that it doesn't get all the love that TDK does. The one thing with me is that with Batman Begins, is that at the end, when Batman turns over the Joker card, ALL I want to do is see TDK. I was so pumped in the theater when I saw that. 2005-2008 were the longest years of my life!

Well I don't really remember the movie (I just saw it once in 2005) but I do remember that it was kinda slow, and maybe it was because I was just 11 when I saw it, but I found the beginning boring. I think I expected something like the Batman cartoon, but it was something much more for adults, and I think lots of people also expected something different. But I definitively have to see it again now that I'm older ^^

Killy wrote:Well I don't really remember the movie (I just saw it once in 2005) but I do remember that it was kinda slow, and maybe it was because I was just 11 when I saw it, but I found the beginning boring. I think I expected something like the Batman cartoon, but it was something much more for adults, and I think lots of people also expected something different. But I definitively have to see it again now that I'm older ^^
See it again!!!

^Ok I will ^^

Killy wrote:^Ok I will ^^
Yea if the last time you saw it was when you were 11 then I'd definitely say check it out again. I'm actually watching it right now as I right this and like I mentioned before every time I watch it I love it a little more.