I must be the only one who prefers this to TDK

Christopher's 2005 reboot of the Batman franchise that tells the origins of how Bruce Wayne became Batman.
I love both of them, almost equally. First I thought, no way...But after few recent viewings of BB...They're just both great.

bLaZe wrote:This was the first Nolan film I saw, and will always be my favorite. Although I agree, BB and TDK are two different movies. Both equally dark, both dealing with strong psychological morals, both have a gritty feel to them that I enjoyed more than Burton's version (which was cheesy, imho), but so different in terms of atmosphere and character development.

However, I'd like to see Arkham Asylum in the fashion of TDK's Gotham City. That would be a huge improvement over the disappointing depiction of Arkham in BB.
A good Arkham
A good Batcave
A good Batvoice
A good villan
A good story

more and more comes along to the wish list for the 3rd batman installment.

bLaZe wrote:This was the first Nolan film I saw, and will always be my favorite. Although I agree, BB and TDK are two different movies. Both equally dark, both dealing with strong psychological morals, both have a gritty feel to them that I enjoyed more than Burton's version (which was cheesy, imho), but so different in terms of atmosphere and character development.

However, I'd like to see Arkham Asylum in the fashion of TDK's Gotham City. That would be a huge improvement over the disappointing depiction of Arkham in BB.
Yeah we need to explore Arkham Asylum more in Batman 3

I haven't seen Batman Begins in nearly 2 years but I just got the bluray from Netflix so i'll be watching it tonight :D

I'm also in the minority that prefers BB to TDK. They're both 5/5 in my book, but after multiple DVD viewings, BB holds up more so than TDK did on first viewing.

To me, BB feels more like a Batman film than TDK. The training, recurrent lines of dialogue, and even the look of Gotham in BB is far superior to TDK. Gotham in BB was grittier, in particular the claustrophobic look of the Narrows. I liked the stuff about the fear toxin and microwave emitter because it came off as comic booky while still being rooted in Batman's world.

But in the end, BB and TDK are so different its hard to compare, in fact Nolan intended to create different atmospheres between the two films (the inspiration behind BB was Blade Runner, while TDK was Heat, two VERY different films). So if Nolan decides to make Batman 3 in a way different from both BB and TDK, I'll be all for it (kinda like how art designs change between different comics). But personally, I'd like to see him go back to look of BB. It just seemed like Gotham was too cleaned up in TDK for my liking, but I don't know if its because we're in a different section of the city or if the people miraculously were able to clean all that muck up in just a year.

Syncopy54 wrote:I'm also in the minority that prefers BB to TDK. They're both 5/5 in my book, but after multiple DVD viewings, BB holds up more so than TDK did on first viewing.

To me, BB feels more like a Batman film than TDK. The training, recurrent lines of dialogue, and even the look of Gotham in BB is far superior to TDK. Gotham in BB was grittier, in particular the claustrophobic look of the Narrows. I liked the stuff about the fear toxin and microwave emitter because it came off as comic booky while still being rooted in Batman's world.

But in the end, BB and TDK are so different its hard to compare, in fact Nolan intended to create different atmospheres between the two films (the inspiration behind BB was Blade Runner, while TDK was Heat, two VERY different films). So if Nolan decides to make Batman 3 in a way different from both BB and TDK, I'll be all for it (kinda like how art designs change between different comics). But personally, I'd like to see him go back to look of BB. It just seemed like Gotham was too cleaned up in TDK for my liking, but I don't know if its because we're in a different section of the city or if the people miraculously were able to clean all that muck up in just a year.
I think Batman Begins works better as a Batman film, but that the Dark Knight is an overall better film.

"What was the plot of the film then?
Because it was Cops and robbers to me, where is the Joker now etc?"

I don't want to discuss everything that goes on in TDK's plot as it moves around a lot and would take a while to explain (and I just don't feel like committing much time to this post) so I'll give some big points that are covered for a plot.

1) Batman/Bruce's struggle with living both lives. He wants to clean up all the crime but at the same time he wants it to end so he can be with Rachel.
2) Rachel's choice of who she wants to be with.
3) Will the Joker find out Batman's true identity (and everyone else for that matter)?
4) Batman's struggle with the decision of killing the Joker or simply bringing him in?
5) Gordon deciding to lay low after he is shot to protect his family and deciding to support Batman even though **** has hit the fan.

That is all I feel like typing but I think that is more than cops and robbers. The Dark Knight has a plot, it just isn't straightforward as other comicbook movies and a lot more is going on in it than any other comicbook/superhero movie I have seen.

Begins is such a good Batman based film, such a good origin story, it's just the dream of every batman aficionado, it's pure and well crafted, TDK works in a different way, it expands because the story demands it, it is the way it had to happen.

For me TDK was better on every level. Sure it probably has more flaws than BB, but its a far more ambitious movie so this was bound to happen. There is so much more creativity, intensity and depth on display in TDK that I find it hard to understand why there has been this recent reevaluation of its merits and slow slide towards people prefering BB. Maybe its because BB is a safer, more easily understood film?? A more conventional blockbuster?

Ive always loved batman begins more. Theres so much more content in Batman Begins in less time than the dark knight. Its also so complex and non-linear so you can watch it hundreds of times and not get bored. The DK was very good however, but batman Begins is better because it does even more for batman.

at the end of the day i hope they have a non-linear structure to batman 3