Why is Insomnia considered Nolan's weakest film when...

This 2002 remake of a Norwegian film follows a Los Angeles homicide detective dispatched to Alaska to investigate the murder of a local teen.
Its RT Meter is at 92%. According to RT, Insomnia is Nolan's third Best film. Only Inception and The Dark Knight have higher critical acclaim.

So I wonder why people generally consider Insomnia as Nolan's "weakest" work. (its IMDB rating is also an evident of that)
:think:

It was his first real big studio work. George Clooney produced it so, what does that tell you.

It's not the least smart film of Nolan's, but it's the least original one.

Because its not as orignial as his other films. But still a solid film no doubt. But Nolan is known for being original, and I think thats why.

That's just the Tomatometer rating, not a reflection of the thoughts of most viewers. Probably at the time it was considered a great movie, it's got a very good average rating as well, but in the contexts of the rest of his work as a whole and what's come since it is viewed as much weaker.

I don't think bringing in Rottentomatoes scores is really an argument for saying what people should think about a film.

Insomnia is sort of the odd film out since it doesn't have a tricky structure or much action, and most people probably saw it after seeing Memento or The Dark Knight. I enjoy it more each after each rewatch, but I don't think most people give even give it that.

George wrote:I don't think bringing in Rottentomatoes scores is really an argument for saying what people should think about a film.

Insomnia is sort of the odd film out since it doesn't have a tricky structure or much action, and most people probably saw it after seeing Memento or The Dark Knight. I enjoy it more each after each rewatch, but I don't think most people give even give it that.
Agreed, it does get better with repeat viewings. There are a lot of great themes and questions raised in the film. Stuff that makes you think. The acting is terrific by Pacino and Williams. The atmosphere created by Nolan, Pfister, and Crowley is excellent.

redfirebird2008 wrote:
George wrote:I don't think bringing in Rottentomatoes scores is really an argument for saying what people should think about a film.

Agreed, it does get better with repeat viewings. There are a lot of great themes and questions raised in the film. Stuff that makes you think. The acting is terrific by Pacino and Williams. The atmosphere created by Nolan, Pfister, and Crowley is excellent.
Its also a film that grows on you the more you think about it. It really is an excellent film and it has become one of my favorite Nolan films.

theweatherman wrote:
redfirebird2008 wrote:

Its also a film that grows on you the more you think about it. It really is an excellent film and it has become one of my favorite Nolan films.
Same for me. It has a different effect every time.

Brilliant movie. I always feel so tired after watching it... :shock: