Why is Insomnia considered Nolan's weakest film when...

This 2002 remake of a Norwegian film follows a Los Angeles homicide detective dispatched to Alaska to investigate the murder of a local teen.
ThePhantomTerror wrote:This is why, I think, Insomnia is Nolan's weakest film:
1. It's a remake.
2. Nolan is only the director(not the screenwriter, not the producer).
3. The plot(IMO) is a bit 'too usual' for a nolan movie, who usually has a more complex story.

HOWEVER, I still like this film, I give it a 7.5/10. The cinematography is good, and the cast is also good.

See, the percentage is sometimes misleading. It just shows you the percentage of critic who gives it a fresh rating, but not the film's quality.
Rotten Tomatoes doesn't mean anything. But 1) and 3) and the basic reasons. Coming after Memento, the latter is especially true as this is a fairly standard crime drama. But it's still well shot and directed, and the performances are great - easily an above average thriller.

I've always considered it his 'weakest' but by no means a bad film. I love it and the acting of Pacino and Williams get me every time. The first time I saw it, I remember likingit, but not really understanding what draw Nolan to direct this. Then I noticed the subtle themes and how the characters morals are always in question. It's definetly above almost every other 'cop' movie because each time you view it, you get something new out of it. It really shows the subtle style of Nolan and how he likes to make the audience work to get the full meaning and experiance of the film. Memento was easy to see that it's hard to understand and that there is more than what is shown on the surfice, while Insomnia, you can either see it as a cop film that has great style or you can see it as a character film about a man who is struggeling physically which brings out past demons that reflect what he is going through now.

My least favorite Nolan film. Still an awesome movie though.
We really should stop this fighting, otherwise we'll miss the fireworks!

So does this mean I have to see it?
It's the only Nolan film I haven't seen. Hmm.

07202012 wrote:So does this mean I have to see it?
Are you a fan of Nolan? Yes of course you should see it.It's a damn fine thriller and I think it is better then following.

You haven't seen a psycho performance until you've seen Robin Williams in Insomnia.

Mr. Caine wrote:
07202012 wrote:So does this mean I have to see it?
Are you a fan of Nolan? Yes of course you should see it.It's a damn fine thriller and I think it is better then following.
Haha. Yes, I am a fan of Nolan.
I guess I've never gotten to it. :(
Guess what I'm going to do today.

My 7th favourite Nolan film :P

I enjoy it, but I think the ending is dreadful.

Highland_3 wrote:I enjoy it, but I think the ending is dreadful.
Better than the ending in the script.

Mason wrote:
Highland_3 wrote:I enjoy it, but I think the ending is dreadful.
Better than the ending in the script.
What was the script ending?