Why is Insomnia considered Nolan's weakest film when...

This 2002 remake of a Norwegian film follows a Los Angeles homicide detective dispatched to Alaska to investigate the murder of a local teen.
BlairCo wrote:
Mason wrote: Better than the ending in the script.
What was the script ending?
Al Pacino turned into a gigantic squid.

Mason wrote:
BlairCo wrote: What was the script ending?
Was Robin Willims rescued by a dolphin?

BlairCo wrote:
Mason wrote: Al Pacino turned into a gigantic squid.
Was Robin Willims rescued by a dolphin?
He was the dolphin all along.

Mason wrote:
BlairCo wrote: Was Robin Willims rescued by a dolphin?
He was the dolphin all along.
So he wasn't Jack's complete lack of suprise?

Mason wrote:
BlairCo wrote: What was the script ending?
I would have preferred that ending TBH.

The script feels so different to Nolan's (in a slightly bad, generic way), but the general tone of the movie is definite Nolan.

But this is only a 3.5/5 movie. Not amazing, not bad, not average. Just a decent thriller. Worst of Nolan's, but a whole lot better than every other run-of-the-mill thriller.

The only film that he did not write. His essence as a complete filmmaker and also style was lost.
Brave New World

A good director should still be able to take someone else's screenplay and make it into a great film. And Nolan still made a pretty good film. Nolan's more suited with executing his own vision of things, even though of course he probably ran through the final form the screenplay.
Do you... like pineapple?

ryan4butler wrote:The only film that he did not write. His essence as a complete filmmaker and also style was lost.
I agree. It was only round about the middle that I 'felt' that I was watching a Nolan film - i.e. the styles and techniques that have since become his trademarks - and that didn't last long. :eh:

MikaHaeli8 wrote:
ryan4butler wrote:The only film that he did not write. His essence as a complete filmmaker and also style was lost.
I agree. It was only round about the middle that I 'felt' that I was watching a Nolan film - i.e. the styles and techniques that have since become his trademarks - and that didn't last long. :eh:
Yeah the movie isn't bad at all. Its different to see Nolan direct something other than hos writting. And that writting isn't nearly on the level as Nolans.
Brave New World