Why is Insomnia considered Nolan's weakest film when...

This 2002 remake of a Norwegian film follows a Los Angeles homicide detective dispatched to Alaska to investigate the murder of a local teen.
I really liked this movie, for me Nolan's weakest film (but still one of my favorites of all time) is Batman Begins.

I loved this film. It's a bit slower than Nolan's other movies. The cinematography is excellent. I think many were put off by the slow pace of the film.

GamingFreak wrote:I loved this film. It's a bit slower than Nolan's other movies. The cinematography is excellent. I think many were put off by the slow pace of the film.
Memento is also pretty slow-paced actually. I consider TDK as his first real fast-paced, frantically edited film.

I watched Insomnia for the first time before I saw Inception for the first time and I really liked it. I'm surprised the movie is as low as it is on IMDB; I think a rating around a 7.5-7.9 on IMDB sounds about right but that's might just be me (I do find it his weakest film but still very good).

it's the weakest because it's a remake (even if better than the original) and it's not written by him. So it's a good noir, with great performances (Nolan worked brilliantly with Pacino and especially Williams) and directing (and the cinematography, gosh, Pfister at its best..), but not a masterpiece as his other flicks :D

Slask wrote:it's the weakest because it's a remake (even if better than the original) and it's not written by him. So it's a good noir, with great performances (Nolan worked brilliantly with Pacino and especially Williams) and directing (and the cinematography, gosh, Pfister at its best..), but not a masterpiece as his other flicks :D
+1 :)

Slask wrote:it's the weakest because it's a remake (even if better than the original) and it's not written by him. So it's a good noir, with great performances (Nolan worked brilliantly with Pacino and especially Williams) and directing (and the cinematography, gosh, Pfister at its best..), but not a masterpiece as his other flicks :D
[/quote]
+1

This film is really moving. The moment Dormer said "Don't lose your way", it's just so striking.

This movie is really great, I think it really kicked up a gear once Williams and Pacino met up and realized that each had something on the other. You see the parallel between both characters and how they are actually fairly similar, and from then on it's just a great ride. Also, this is some of the best cinematography of Nolan's career, the movie is absolutely beautiful.

If this movie were made by another director, it would probably crack their Top-3. However, Nolan's other movies are so flat-out awesome and feature more complexity, better editing and more original storytelling that Insomnia seems to fall to the back of the pack. Still an excellent film, it's just stacked up against Inception, The Dark Knight, Memento, The Prestige and Batman Begins. That is one impressive group of films there

I like this film, a lot. I personally think it's almost better than Batman Begins. I've had insomnia before, so I could really relate to Dormer. I keep asking the question of why Williams doesn't do more serious work. He kind of annoys me in comedy, but he's a really good serious actor. :think:

i have insomnia too, and when i have i go to the couch and start to see a nolan film, when the movie ends i go to my bedroom and i sleep like a baby, works every time