Dormer in the Fog

This 2002 remake of a Norwegian film follows a Los Angeles homicide detective dispatched to Alaska to investigate the murder of a local teen.

Did Dormer intentionally shoot Hap in the fog scene?

Yes
16%
No
84%

Total votes: 44

Kyle Higgins wrote:
George wrote:I'm saving my next rewatch of Insomnia for when it releases on blu-ray, but I was thinking about it and i'm not quite sure which option makes the film more interesting.

If it was an accident, he would probably be more sympathetic toward Walter Finch's attempts to pin his Kay murder as an accident.
If it was intentional, it displays his deepening commitment to the ends justifying the means.
Is it in bad form to say my next rewatch will be in a theater with Nolan doing a Q & A this weekend? :)
Lucky bastard. :JGLface:

I don't think it was intentional exactly, but I think it's interesting that Hap thought it was. I think it was the result of stress and some pretty bad policework and Hap wound up in the line of fire. It'd be interesting to hear what a policeman would say, but I'm guessing that if you've lost your partner in the fog and the geography is uncertain, you probably don't fire squarely at a figure you can't really identify.

allmond guy wrote:I don't think it was intentional exactly, but I think it's interesting that Hap thought it was. I think it was the result of stress and some pretty bad policework and Hap wound up in the line of fire. It'd be interesting to hear what a policeman would say, but I'm guessing that if you've lost your partner in the fog and the geography is uncertain, you probably don't fire squarely at a figure you can't really identify.
It probably was the heat of the moment.

Well, my point is that, especially because he's this superstar detective being flown up to Alaska, I'm betting someone of that status should be trained well enough to handle "the heat of the moment." Isn't that Police 101?

But he's also lacking sleep even that early in that film and likely his instincts aren't what they should be.

in resume he practically explained everything to Ellie at the end, I don't think he was lying.

Blind fire, so regardless if it was Hap or not, he would've shot anyway. I think he didn't mean to shoot Hap, despite the tension between them. Dormer was already under enough stress, so covering it up could only make him seem like he shot Hap on purpose, convincing himself and the viewers that it might not have been coincidence. IMO

Accident in my view but he may have been paranoid that people would have thought he did it on purpose becuase of the friction between the two of them.

rbevanx wrote:Accident in my view but he may have been paranoid that people would have thought he did it on purpose becuase of the friction between the two of them.
Yeah I mean he's an experienced detective. He knows that if people were to look into it they would see that he had motive and would start to question whether he did it on purpose. Those thoughts drove him to lie and his lies combined with his Insomnia made him question the reality of the situation.

I definitely feel it was an accident, you can tell how much its eaten him up inside near the end where he says he's not even sure if he did it on purpose or not. He's been days without sleep and he's thought about every second that happen over an over to the point that its starting to drive him crazy