Why Insomnia Is The Least Respected Nolan Film

This 2002 remake of a Norwegian film follows a Los Angeles homicide detective dispatched to Alaska to investigate the murder of a local teen.
Well for everyone complaining about the screenplay, here' s a new tidbit Nolan revealed at the Insomnia Q&A:

- Nolan doesn’t have a writing credit on Insomnia, but he wrote the last draft himself.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/45451

Makes sense to me I have read what appears to be Hillary Seitz final script and it seems quite different from the final project. The final product is much better.

interesting, :think:
any copy of this draft somewhere...

I only saw Insomnia for the first time a few months ago but I really liked it. It may not be as epic and engaging as his other major flicks but it's still a great movie IMO. A lot better then most of the crap that has come out in the last 10 years that gets more attention.

Team Andino wrote:I only saw Insomnia for the first time a few months ago but I really liked it. It may not be as epic and engaging as his other major flicks but it's still a great movie IMO. A lot better then most of the crap that has come out in the last 10 years that gets more attention.
Its defintly a higher brow version of the typical serial killer/cop thriller.

Just had my 1st viewing. MAybe it is my least favorite or Nolan's, but it definitely is REALLY good!

If it had been made by anyone else, Insomnia would have been considered a great movie. It is only in comparison with other movies by Nolan that Insomnia pales. Great cast, stellar performances, good plot, great pacing, and the incredible setting of Alaska which exudes an eerie aura of danger. Very elegantly done! :-)

For some reason when I watch this film it always feels like Nolan never made it. I mean the cinematography and all the visuals are totally Nolan, but the overall feel of the film.

I think this is because Insomnia is the only film Nolan never had a major role in writing the original story.

If I were to list the Nolan's films I have seen, first-watched to most recently watched:

Batman Begins
The Prestige
The Dark Knight
Memento
Following
Insomnia
(and of course Inception about 3 times in the last two weeks).

I guess you could say that I was already well versed with Nolan before seeind Insomnia. Before actually sitting down for the movie I read the synopsis and said "wow, the guy actually has insomnia, he has his own demons to deal with, and it's a Nolan flick, there's probably some major twist or something in it." It's possible that after seeing every other Nolan film I expected too much out of Insomnia. I had thought maybe Dormer's lack of sleep will affect his work more than it did, maybe Finch wasn't actually the killer, maybe more parts of the movie were actually Dormer's hallucinations.

The overall scope of the film is, also, not particularly as large as most of Nolan's other films. The plot is linear, no twists, relies mainly on major themes rather than simple plot devices. I think this is the biggest reason why I feel Insomnia is the weakest film.
If she plays cranium she gives good brainium.

Cilogy wrote:The plot is linear, no twists, relies mainly on major themes rather than simple plot devices. I think this is the biggest reason why I feel Insomnia is the weakest film.

And that's a bad thing? :shock: :(

George wrote:
Cilogy wrote:The plot is linear, no twists, relies mainly on major themes rather than simple plot devices. I think this is the biggest reason why I feel Insomnia is the weakest film.

And that's a bad thing? :shock: :(
Maybe I should have elaborated. That doesn't mean that it's a bad film, it's just not as good as other Nolan films.

Plus, you could say the same thing about BB and TDK, but those are excellent movies.

You know what? Nevermind ...
If she plays cranium she gives good brainium.