Memento analysis

The famous 2000 film that put Christopher Nolan on the map tells the story of a man on the hunt for the man he thinks killed his wife.
lalyil wrote: :clap:
A good word from the mighty Shaz! Thank you :D

It is. Everytime I see it I interpret things differently. It's a neverending puzzle. I don't think any film was ever able to narrate a story in such a way since. It's a true one of a kind.
hahaha mighty :lol:

It a real well thought out point. I never thought about the materialism within the film, its opened up a new section of meaning. The film can be psychoanalysed in so many different ways, its amazing how rich the concept is. :tooexcited:

Z. Cobb wrote:
lalyil wrote: :clap:
A good word from the mighty Shaz! Thank you :D

It is. Everytime I see it I interpret things differently. It's a neverending puzzle. I don't think any film was ever able to narrate a story in such a way since. It's a true one of a kind.
hahaha mighty :lol:

It a real well thought out point. I never thought about the materialism within the film, its opened up a new section of meaning. The film can be psychoanalysed in so many different ways, its amazing how rich the concept is. :tooexcited:
There's a bit in a paragraph I omitted that I took from a book which basically says "the distributors were worried the audience wouldn't be able to take in the reverse narrative and the short scenes, but in a world built on using the internet and video games, the audience is culturally-equipped to handle a non-linear and complexed narrative" - that pretty much says it all. Layer on layer, this film can be seen an analogy of our current world. :) and us NFers know that Nolan is also not the biggest fan of what you can count as digital technology.

lalyil wrote:
There's a bit in a paragraph I omitted that I took from a book which basically says "the distributors were worried the audience wouldn't be able to take in the reverse narrative and the short scenes, but in a world built on using the internet and video games, the audience is culturally-equipped to handle a non-linear and complexed narrative" - that pretty much says it all. Layer on layer, this film can be seen an analogy of our current world. :) and us NFers know that Nolan is also not the biggest fan of what you can count as digital technology.
Well i think with the rise internet and video-games we are now being spoon fed everything, its want want want quickly, superficial quick fix highs, its nice how Nolan is keeping everything as if its analogue.

Z. Cobb wrote:
lalyil wrote:
Well i think with the rise internet and video-games we are now being spoon fed everything, its want want want quickly, superficial quick fix highs, its nice how Nolan is keeping everything as if its analogue.
Yep, that's also true on one hand. It's a little like he's trying to educate the masses :lol:
On the other the build of the narrative - in a way it might only work due to that, due to the way we live our lives nowadays. Even if facebook didn't exist in 2001, still. It's all lacking the classic narrative of the story.

Yay! Thanks :D

I'll upload the whole thing soon to some essays website and put the link here and in the thread in Film Analysis

lalyil wrote:"Trauma is fascinating to us, because it is always a temptation for something else, always a mask of another trauma" - Jacques Lacan (McGowan & Kunkle, 2004, p. 134). In Memento, "We are attracted to the trauma of the murder. The mystery, the search for the killer. Like the classic film-noirs. However, the collision between the fictional world presented in the film using Leonard's narrative, to the breaking at the end - the breakdown of the thought that we "know it all", takes off parts of the mask that hides the real trauma of "Memento" - the trauma of choice. The choice of Leonard to escape 'reality'. This conflict also drives the audience away from the desire to discover the murderer, understanding not only that this desire is impossible, this desire is entirely fake - the murderer was not even a murderer. So it's entirely irrelevant. The viewer experiences a kind of dissolution of a fictional world. The film is an endless circle that tells a story through a series of contradictions and ambiguities, even when it seems that the narrative is clear, the feeling quickly fades.
I love that. Can't believe I've just discovered you posted this, it's great. Looking forward to the rest...

Mason wrote:
lalyil wrote:"Trauma is fascinating to us, because it is always a temptation for something else, always a mask of another trauma" - Jacques Lacan (McGowan & Kunkle, 2004, p. 134). In Memento, "We are attracted to the trauma of the murder. The mystery, the search for the killer. Like the classic film-noirs. However, the collision between the fictional world presented in the film using Leonard's narrative, to the breaking at the end - the breakdown of the thought that we "know it all", takes off parts of the mask that hides the real trauma of "Memento" - the trauma of choice. The choice of Leonard to escape 'reality'. This conflict also drives the audience away from the desire to discover the murderer, understanding not only that this desire is impossible, this desire is entirely fake - the murderer was not even a murderer. So it's entirely irrelevant. The viewer experiences a kind of dissolution of a fictional world. The film is an endless circle that tells a story through a series of contradictions and ambiguities, even when it seems that the narrative is clear, the feeling quickly fades.
I love that. Can't believe I've just discovered you posted this, it's great. Looking forward to the rest...
Thank you :D I'll post the rest on some academic essay site and link it here once I have more time after The Prestige essay :)

Brilliant! :thumbup:
And the fact you had to translate it meant you know two languages! If I didn't already respect you enough for the essay, I certainly do now!

Threshold wrote:Brilliant! :thumbup:
And the fact you had to translate it meant you know two languages! If I didn't already respect you enough for the essay, I certainly do now!
Awwww haha. I have my problems with each language though, I always have some spelling/grammar mistakes in English and in Hebrew my vocabulary is horrid, cos I only read/watch stuff in English :lol:

But thank you, that's really kind :)

I meant to ask you this earlier, lalyil, but what was the thesis of your paper?