Can anyone explain?

The famous 2000 film that put Christopher Nolan on the map tells the story of a man on the hunt for the man he thinks killed his wife.
I have an idea but wanted to get others input first.

In the picture of Leonard's first kill, he looks ecstatic.
John Gammell even says "I wanted to see you that happy again."
(I know Leonard panicked when Jimmy died.)

The question is: Why wasn't Leonard as happy when he killed John Gammell as the 'John G' he had been hunting?
"I finally found you. How long have I been searching for you?"
If he has no memory of the first 'John G', why wouldn't he respond the same way he did before?

author wrote:I have an idea but wanted to get others input first.

In the picture of Leonard's first kill, he looks ecstatic.
John Gammell even says "I wanted to see you that happy again."
(I know Leonard panicked when Jimmy died.)

The question is: Why wasn't Leonard as happy when he killed John Gammell as the 'John G' he had been hunting?
"I finally found you. How long have I been searching for you?"
If he has no memory of the first 'John G', why wouldn't he respond the same way he did before?
remember Sammy Jankis?
well Leonard thinks he heard Sammy's name whispered by Jimmy.. triggering doubt as to whether Jimmy is the right guy..

The picture Teddy showed Lenny was "right after" he had done it earlier.
Right after Lenny has killed Jimmy, he simply start to dress like him... kinda strange no?

As the first post states, we all know why Leonard is not happy after Jimmy is killed.

The question is "Why is Leonard not happy when he kills John 'Teddy' Gammell?"
This does not seem consistent with the joy he shows in the Polaroid that John claims to have taken after the first murder.

Also, Leonard did not put on John Gammell's clothing, it was Jimmy's.That part is self-explanatory.

author wrote:As the first post states, we all know why Leonard is not happy after Jimmy is killed.

This does not seem consistent with the joy he shows in the Polaroid that John claims to have taken after the first murder.

Also, Leonard did not put on John Gammell's clothing, it was Jimmy's.That part is self-explanatory.
But Memento does NOT show the moments right after Lenny has killed John "Teddy" Gammel..The intro shows it backwards, only for a minute+ while the photograph dries.

tykjen wrote:
author wrote:As the first post states, we all know why Leonard is not happy after Jimmy is killed.

But Memento does NOT show the moments right after Lenny has killed John "Teddy" Gammel..The intro shows it backwards, only for a minute+ while the photograph dries.
Yup.
Maybe he lost his concentration? In commentary Nolan tells that depending on how Lenny is focused determins the time he can hold of the memory.So he may have forgotten who this guy is when the polaroid is done.

Nope. And nope.

Consider the fake wife scene. How does it make Leonard feel? Why does he set it up?

Also, think about why John G says "You're not a killer, that's what makes you so good at it."

It isn't too difficult to see why Leonard isn't ecstatic when he kills John.

I assure you he didn't "forget" in the few seconds that followed, nor did he not have enough time "for a minute" to react.

And this is why I enjoy watching Memento with the angle that Lenny is simply insane. He does too much that contradicts his condition.

author wrote: If he has no memory of the first 'John G', why wouldn't he respond the same way he did before?
sorry skimmed over and generalized earlier..

Leonard had Teddy's company when he killed the first John G..
when he kills Teddy he will naturally have an internal reaction as there is no external vent..

i don't think Leonard is consciously aware of his elaborate self defense construct built to get rid of Teddy
..subconscious awareness? maybe..

Lenny makes a compelling choice as he realizes the truth. He is not alone in this world spite his condition.