Question about this film (sort of)

The famous 2000 film that put Christopher Nolan on the map tells the story of a man on the hunt for the man he thinks killed his wife.
Would you consider
that the film is told backwords, a spoiler, and if so how big of one?
-Vader

No and its only partially true anyway, so it would not really reveal all that much anyway.

Really? A major part of my experience was not knowing quite what was going on in those first few moments or first 10 minutes or so, wonderfully chaotic, and figuring that out set the tone and pace for the rest of the film, adding to my disorientation substantially. I would have been very sorry to know it's narrative structure going in.

-Vader

When I saw Memento 10 years ago, I knew nothing about the structure or anything, I liked the film, but didn't appreciate it as I do now - due to my young age back then. But I wouldn't call something which is clear within the first 10 minutes of a film a spoiler.

The whole experience of Memento is the narrative structure... we all know that there are two narratives, the B &W going forward in time and the Colour goes backwards in time until they meet at that point of revelation. We are instantly put in the shoes of Leonard, because we are putting back the pieces of a story, much like leonard and his photos and notes. Its genius story telling, I still think its Nolan's best work to date.

Z. Cobb wrote:The whole experience of Memento is the narrative structure... we all know that there are two narratives, the B &W going forward in time and the Colour goes backwards in time until they meet at that point of revelation. We are instantly put in the shoes of Leonard, because we are putting back the pieces of a story, much like leonard and his photos and notes. Its genius story telling, I still think its Nolan's best work to date.
It is 8-)

Vader182 wrote:Would you consider
that the film is told backwords, a spoiler, and if so how big of one?
-Vader
No, not at all. In fact, from my experiences in showing this fantastic film to people who aren't experienced in watching creative film making, it is often a must to explain the story telling format beforehand before they become confused and can't fully enjoy the movie. Once they know the format of the movie, it becomes easier for them to understand the events and concoct their own theories while watching the film. This does not, however, detract from their experience because they don't know anything about the relations of the characters, settings, or the plot.
Z. Cobb wrote:The whole experience of Memento is the narrative structure... we all know that there are two narratives, the B &W going forward in time and the Colour goes backwards in time until they meet at that point of revelation. We are instantly put in the shoes of Leonard, because we are putting back the pieces of a story, much like leonard and his photos and notes. Its genius story telling, I still think its Nolan's best work to date.
Another movie that I thoroughly enjoy after multiple viewings. Absolutely brilliant. However, I have enjoyed each of Nolan's movies equally in their own ways.

The whole point is that the viewer is supposed to figure it out on their own... Nolan's said as much..

-Vader

Vader182 wrote:The whole point is that the viewer is supposed to figure it out on their own... Nolan's said as much..

-Vader
Then you knew the answer to your question all along :wtf:

Addicted2Movies wrote:
Vader182 wrote:The whole point is that the viewer is supposed to figure it out on their own... Nolan's said as much..

-Vader
Then you knew the answer to your question all along :wtf:
I want to hear people's opinion on the matter. One of my friends told another about it's narrative device, I got irritated and said you ruined an aspect fo the viewing experience and he said you figure it out right away anyway, so it doesn't mater. Sigh.

-Vader