Question about this film (sort of)

The famous 2000 film that put Christopher Nolan on the map tells the story of a man on the hunt for the man he thinks killed his wife.
Vader182 wrote:
Addicted2Movies wrote:
Then you knew the answer to your question all along :wtf:
I want to hear people's opinion on the matter. One of my friends told another about it's narrative device, I got irritated and said you ruined an aspect fo the viewing experience and he said you figure it out right away anyway, so it doesn't mater. Sigh.

-Vader
Haha well I already gave my opinion...but if Nolan indeed said what he said in that quote you posted then I'd have to correct my comment and go with the filmmaker. Afterall, Nolan ultimately understands what will detract from his work if revealed. I will now fall into depression knowing that I am a spoiler...

I've always heard it mentioned as "the backwards movie," though that's obviously incorrect. It's how people refer to it. If you hadn't phrased the question as such I wouldn't have thought twice. Before I watched it, my brother tried to excite me for it by saying, "it's cool because it starts at the end and ends at the beginning."

I think the execution of the idea is what's exhilarating, so no, I don't think it's something to avoid when discussing it with another person. In fact, it may entice them to watch something they otherwise wouldn't have.

It's a spoiler in the sense that you might not know it if you literally didn't know a single thing about the film, but spoilers are by definition something which spoils the natural progression of the order you see things in by giving you information you shouldn't have at a given time. This is something you find out before you know anything about the characters, narrative, or anything else, so it's not like it would disrupt their viewing order.

President-Evil wrote:It's a spoiler in the sense that you might not know it if you literally didn't know a single thing about the film, but spoilers are by definition something which spoils the natural progression of the order you see things in by giving you information you shouldn't have at a given time. This is something you find out before you know anything about the characters, narrative, or anything else, so it's not like it would disrupt their viewing order.
What? A spoiler is just something that ruins an aspect of the film that you wished you didn't know ahead of time.

-Vader

I think this is the best way to put it. With the events of the film as they are, had it been edited in chronological order, then in that case it would have been spoiled.
We would know, depending on which theory you side with, that the actions of Leonard throughout the majority of the film would be pointless and it would be an odd thing to watch. Leonard has been lying to himself to stay happy, and so he has to lie to us too otherwise the movie is spoiled right from the beginning.

jcvargas09 wrote:I think this is the best way to put it. With the events of the film as they are, had it been edited in chronological order, then in that case it would have been spoiled.
We would know, depending on which theory you side with, that the actions of Leonard throughout the majority of the film would be pointless and it would be an odd thing to watch. Leonard has been lying to himself to stay happy, and so he has to lie to us too otherwise the movie is spoiled right from the beginning.
Yeah pretty much