If you liked Memento you should watch.......

The famous 2000 film that put Christopher Nolan on the map tells the story of a man on the hunt for the man he thinks killed his wife.
Watch Timecrimes.Its a nice film too.

And watch The Others.Climax is too good.
gib sigs

Well if it is the postmodern genre of "not knowing what is truth and what is not" you enjoy, Donnie Darko is a true winner. Awesome film.

Ummmm..... Following anyone? That's like the easiest one to list and no one's put it.

Memento reminded me of Se7en. Both modern classics, with very dark themes.

Jacob's Ladder
Arlington Road
The Machinist
Mystic River
Collateral

gangefan83 wrote:Memento reminded me of Se7en. Both modern classics, with very dark themes.
Yea that was a really great movei

Definitely agree that if like "Memento" should watch "Mulholland Drive"; it has the same extraordinary juxtapositioning of different levels or models of reality, the shifts between them, etc, even if only once, what a "once"!: ... ... ... ( Possible Spoiler Alert! ) the moment when she opens the box with the little blue key, wow!

Other films with the same interest in models of reality, the stories that we tell ourselves, ( aswell as "The Prestige" of course :lol ), are "Avalon", ( by Mamoru Oshi ), "Dark City", "Brazil", "Synecdoche, New York", "Matrix", and "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind".

I think that what distinguishes them from many other brilliant films in which one apparently rock solid "story" or model of reality is shockingly exposed before the end ( eg. "The Usual Suspects", "The Sixth Sense", "The Others", which someone mentioned, and "Don't Look Now" ), is that they are about that experience itself; their "story" is about our tendency to tell ourselves stories, to in fact, unavoidably, *live in* stories/models and confuse them with the "one ( indescribable, ungraspable ) reality".

The interesting thing is how the different films "suggest" that we should, or do, react to this. What do we do when we realise that we live in a model?

ouinon wrote:Definitely agree that if like "Memento" should watch "Mulholland Drive"; it has the same extraordinary juxtapositioning of different levels or models of reality, the shifts between them, etc, even if only once, what a "once"!: ... ... ... ( Possible Spoiler Alert! ) the moment when she opens the box with the little blue key, wow!

Other films with the same interest in models of reality, the stories that we tell ourselves, ( aswell as "The Prestige" of course :lol ), are "Avalon", ( by Mamoru Oshi ), "Dark City", "Brazil", "Synecdoche, New York", "Matrix", and "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind".

I think that what distinguishes them from many other brilliant films in which one apparently rock solid "story" or model of reality is shockingly exposed before the end ( eg. "The Usual Suspects", "The Sixth Sense", "The Others", which someone mentioned, and "Don't Look Now" ), is that they are about that experience itself; their "story" is about our tendency to tell ourselves stories, to in fact, unavoidably, *live in* stories/models and confuse them with the "one ( indescribable, ungraspable ) reality".

The interesting thing is how the different films "suggest" that we should, or do, react to this. What do we do when we realise that we live in a model?

I agree. But, Brazil was a freaking weird movie.

rbevanx wrote:I watched Brick in the cinema and loved it, so original and really well made.

Another film that I felt was similar to Memento was a film called Primer.
gosh..! I still get headache when I think back to watching that movie :crazy:

The Lookout

Nolan has stated that the script was floating around when he tried to get Memento made, and it does have some notable similarities (writing down memories/activities). It also stars Inception's Joseph Gordon-Levitt.