Why does Leonard try to "remember" Sammy Jankis?

The famous 2000 film that put Christopher Nolan on the map tells the story of a man on the hunt for the man he thinks killed his wife.
rbevanx wrote: Nolan is on record saying that the film can be solved using the short story, website and film but I like the film the way it is so I have never gone out of my way to solve it.
Ah yeah, thanks for reminding me! The website has several clues concerning Sammy and Leonard being the same person. Like Leonards mental hospital register, claiming that he was at the mental hospital, just as Sammy. And thats just one of the several facts leaning towards the answer that they are the same person. I really wonder why people doubt this so much, Nolan has almost spoonfed os the answers. One day when I have the time, Ill list all the clues and everything we know, including Nolan quotes, and quotes from The Making of Memento, which Im reading for the second time now and tie it all together - could be fun.

Jonas Agersø wrote:
rbevanx wrote: Nolan is on record saying that the film can be solved using the short story, website and film but I like the film the way it is so I have never gone out of my way to solve it.
Ah yeah, thanks for reminding me! The website has several clues concerning Sammy and Leonard being the same person. Like Leonards mental hospital register, claiming that he was at the mental hospital, just as Sammy. And thats just one of the several facts leaning towards the answer that they are the same person. I really wonder why people doubt this so much, Nolan has almost spoonfed os the answers. One day when I have the time, Ill list all the clues and everything we know, including Nolan quotes, and quotes from The Making of Memento, which Im reading for the second time now and tie it all together - could be fun.
Yes it will be fun for all us memento fans :)

Jonas Agersø wrote:
Well the thing is you have to go outside the film to solve whats going on, which I don't like at all anyway. Everything should be in the film if the filmmaker wanted viewers to solve it. I'm sure it was Nolan's intention to make it open like with Inception, but if you want (as some will always want an answer) there is an answer if you look hard enough.
I think if you solve it Jonas Agersø, you are just ruining the film for yourself and you won't be able to watch again and again with the same enjoyment like before fella.

Here is the link if you want it ;)
www.otnemem.com

Just a polite warning and once again I shall say that quote "Ignorance is bliss"

Slask wrote:
Jonas Agersø wrote:Want? Who said anything about wanting something? Leonard can't remember shit. He doesn't know why he got that tat in the first place. All he knows is what it says everytime he looks at it. There is no debate? Then tell me please, why did Nolan make so many similarites between Leonard and Sammy? - Both having the same rare disease, both got killed wives and so on.
Why is it that Leonard is the one sitting in the chair in the mental hospital just before it cuts? There are no coincidences in filmmaking, and as you know, Nolan is a perfectionist.
actually Mr. Nolan's movie can be interpreted in different ways, because he hides many clues in his movies, some of them lead to a solution, some lead to another.. and they can all be right.
Yeah, I agree. This is why I love Nolan.