173 of of the 500 Greatest Movies of All Time

The famous 2000 film that put Christopher Nolan on the map tells the story of a man on the hunt for the man he thinks killed his wife.

This and The Prestige should have been much higher on the list. And Batman Begins lower.

George wrote:This and The Prestige should have been much higher on the list. And Batman Begins lower.
I think The Prestige is a little debatable. It was a hit or miss with people.

Memento should've gotten 81, Batman Begins should've got 173.

chee wrote:
George wrote:This and The Prestige should have been much higher on the list. And Batman Begins lower.

It's #82 on IMDb's Top 250, though. Higher than Batman Begins. And Memento is #29.

George wrote:
chee wrote:

It's #82 on IMDb's Top 250, though. Higher than Batman Begins. And Memento is #29.
I agree with IMDb's list.

"I agree with IMDb's list"

I can't with The Dark Knight being number six or whatever it is now. I also think any film that released now gets in the 250, where is Planet of the Apes and The Truman Show. I think these movie companys pay people in China or India to vote high for their films.
But the Dark Knight is just being voted by kids who havn't come accross films like Citizen Kane, It's a Wonderfull life,12 Angry men etc.

rbevanx wrote:"I agree with IMDb's list"
iMBD's top 250 can't really be trusted. iMDB ratings really should just be used for getting a general consensus of what other movie-goers think. People can rate movies in any sort of way that's not very reliable.
rbevanx wrote:I can't with The Dark Knight being number six or whatever it is now. I also think any film that released now gets in the 250, where is Planet of the Apes and The Truman Show. I think these movie companys pay people in China or India to vote high for their films.
But the Dark Knight is just being voted by kids who havn't come accross films like Citizen Kane, It's a Wonderfull life,12 Angry men etc.
People may have seen all those films, but they may not be rating them all on the same criteria. For instance, people may have watched, respected and liked all those films, but they may have enjoyed movies like The Dark Knight more, thus a higher rating. Regardless, asserting that a film with 300 000+ votes is being rated entirely by kids is a blatant sweeping generalization.

"asserting that a film with 300 000+ votes is being rated entirely by kids is a blatant sweeping generalization."

It is though lol.

rbevanx wrote:"I agree with IMDb's list"

I can't with The Dark Knight being number six or whatever it is now. I also think any film that released now gets in the 250, where is Planet of the Apes and The Truman Show. I think these movie companys pay people in China or India to vote high for their films.
Usually great new releases will get a good spot on the Top 250. And then as more people see it, it begins to drop a bit. And then once the DVD releases it goes to a reasonable score, with most falling out of the top 250 by that point.

Only 4% of the votes for The Dark Knight were by people under the age of 18.
And regardless, why can't people like The Dark Knight more than 12 Angry Men? I've seen 12 Angry Men. It's great, but I think The Dark Knight is better.

12 Angry Men is #8, Citizen Kane is #34, It's a Wonderful Life is #31. The Truman Show is just barely outside the Top 250 (I think it will break in within a few months). And Planet of the Apes is #249.

IMDB's Top 250 is a great list. It has a wide variety of excellent domestic and foreign films.

Look at what Yahoo users vote as the best movies of all time:

1. Dark Knight
2. Star Trek
3. Up
4. Hangover
5. Gran Torino
6. (500) Days of Summer
7. Slumdog Millionaire
8. Fireproof
9. Shawshank Redemption
10. Godfather

Yeah Yahoo is more of a mess, but I honestly think The Dark Knight is overrated and they hire people to give their films a high score.
I still dont understand why Memento is 34 or something and The Dark Knight is number six. I
t's just daft if you ask me.