173 of of the 500 Greatest Movies of All Time

The famous 2000 film that put Christopher Nolan on the map tells the story of a man on the hunt for the man he thinks killed his wife.
No, I agree with the IMDb list in terms of Memento being higher on the list than Batman Begins. Either way, the list is pretty fair (I don't think people pay people to vote :P) and its certainly not a bad list.

rbevanx wrote:Yeah Yahoo is more of a mess, but I honestly think The Dark Knight is overrated and they hire people to give their films a high score.
I still dont understand why Memento is 34 or something and The Dark Knight is number six. I
t's just daft if you ask me.
I highly dount that WB needed to pay people to give The Dark Knight high scores. Besides, if people like it, a lot, what's wrong with that? Everyone has a different view. Again, not everyone is rating films on the same criteria. Some may give a film higher scores if they enjoyed it more and some may give higher scores to "classics" for their influence in cinema. Some may not like films that are considered "classics" and such. Film is subjective. Just because you didn't like a film, doesn't mean others didn't. I didn't like Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen, but MANY people did and gave it higher ratings because they enjoyed it.

Memento not being higher is simple, more people have seen The Dark Knight. More viewers means more votes and higher scores.

Eternalist wrote:
rbevanx wrote:Yeah Yahoo is more of a mess, but I honestly think The Dark Knight is overrated and they hire people to give their films a high score.
I still dont understand why Memento is 34 or something and The Dark Knight is number six. I
t's just daft if you ask me.
I highly dount that WB needed to pay people to give The Dark Knight high scores. Besides, if people like it, a lot, what's wrong with that? Everyone has a different view. Again, not everyone is rating films on the same criteria. Some may give a film higher scores if they enjoyed it more and some may give higher scores to "classics" for their influence in cinema. Some may not like films that are considered "classics" and such. Film is subjective. Just because you didn't like a film, doesn't mean others didn't. I didn't like Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen, but MANY people did and gave it higher ratings because they enjoyed it.

Memento not being higher is simple, more people have seen The Dark Knight. More viewers means more votes and higher scores.

See I vote on IMDB sort of with my current standards for movies. I think we can all honestly admit that a lot of the older "classics" feel dated now. I'm not really concerned with how influential a movie is. If I watch it today and it just doesn't hold up well, I don't really care how much of a classic it is considered and I won't give it a very high score.

I also don't like hearing people say things like "well its a classic, you're supposed to like it"

George wrote:See I vote on IMDB sort of with my current standards for movies. I think we can all honestly admit that a lot of the older "classics" feel dated now. I'm not really concerned with how influential a movie is. If I watch it today and it just doesn't hold up well, I don't really care how much of a classic it is considered and I won't give it a very high score.

I also don't like hearing people say things like "well its a classic, you're supposed to like it"
It appears we have a lot in common. I've taken a lot of heat for saying that I don't like certain films widely considered to be classics. I find that a lot of classics just don't end up living up to their reputation. I didn't like Roman Holiday, The Night of the Hunter, West Side Story, The Apartment, The Bicycle Thief, L.A. Confidential or In Cold Blood and I would rate them lower accordingly despite their "influence" in cinema and the fact that almost everyone else likes them.

Eternalist wrote:
George wrote:See I vote on IMDB sort of with my current standards for movies. I think we can all honestly admit that a lot of the older "classics" feel dated now. I'm not really concerned with how influential a movie is. If I watch it today and it just doesn't hold up well, I don't really care how much of a classic it is considered and I won't give it a very high score.

It appears we have a lot in common. I've taken a lot of heat for saying that I don't like certain films widely considered to be classics. I find that a lot of classics just don't end up living up to their reputation. I didn't like Roman Holiday, The Night of the Hunter, West Side Story, The Apartment, The Bicycle Thief, L.A. Confidential or In Cold Blood and I would rate them lower accordingly despite their "influence" in cinema and the fact that almost everyone else likes them.
You didn't like The Bicycle Thief? D:
How about M?

I don't like West Side Story either. :P

chee wrote:You didn't like The Bicycle Thief? D:
How about M?

I honestly haven't seen M yet, but I really want to.

Sometimes I don't mind musicals, some are great such as Top Hat, Swing Time, Singin' in the Rain, The Sound of Music, but I really can't stand West Side Story.

Eternalist wrote:
chee wrote:You didn't like The Bicycle Thief? D:
How about M?

I honestly haven't seen M yet, but I really want to.

Sometimes I don't mind musicals, some are great such as Top Hat, Swing Time, Singin' in the Rain, The Sound of Music, but I really can't stand West Side Story.
I haven't seen Top Hat or Swing Time yet, but I do like the other ones you mentioned.

Eternalist wrote:

I expected to like L.A. Confidential, but I watched it and I basically fell into the same boat as you. I currently have it as a 5/10 on IMDB. I also found the action to be ridiculous and over-the-top. There were guys flying out of windows, main characters surviving shots to the face, etc. And did Kim Basinger seriously win Best Supporting Actress for her role in this?

Another "influential classic" that I don't like is Blade Runner. I mean sure, incredible sets and cinematography, but I didn't care about the characters and thus found it to be a bit of a bore. I also have it at a 5/10.

And finally A Clockwork Orange. I basically hated it. 3/10 on IMDB from me. Again its like yes, great cinematography... but I struggled what to see what was likable about it. And i'm in the camp that it was unnecessarily gratuitous. I got that they needed to show how despicable things were, but it almost seemed to relish in the violence and nudity at points.

George wrote:
Eternalist wrote:

I expected to like L.A. Confidential, but I watched it and I basically fell into the same boat as you. I currently have it as a 5/10 on IMDB. I also found the action to be ridiculous and over-the-top. There were guys flying out of windows, main characters surviving shots to the face, etc. And did Kim Basinger seriously win Best Supporting Actress for her role in this?

Another "influential classic" that I don't like is Blade Runner. I mean sure, incredible sets and cinematography, but I didn't care about the characters and thus found it to be a bit of a bore. I also have it at a 5/10.

And finally A Clockwork Orange. I basically hated it. 3/10 on IMDB from me. Again its like yes, great cinematography... but I struggled what to see what was likable about it. And i'm in the camp that it was unnecessarily gratuitous. I got that they needed to show how despicable things were, but it almost seemed to relish in the violence and nudity at points.
I watched L.A. Confidential, but I found it really boring. I don't even remember a lot about that movie. It wasn't very memorable.

George wrote:I expected to like L.A. Confidential, but I watched it and I basically fell into the same boat as you. I currently have it as a 5/10 on IMDB. I also found the action to be ridiculous and over-the-top. There were guys flying out of windows, main characters surviving shots to the face, etc. And did Kim Basinger seriously win Best Supporting Actress for her role in this?

I found that most people were acclaiming L.A. Confidential because of the time period it was set in. I found the story to be heavily cliched and routine and nothing entirely remarkable apart from it's time setting.

I didn't "hate" Blade Runner, but I didn't "love" it either, but it was quite interesting for me as I read the novel it was based on, Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep, before seeing it.

A Clockwork Orange is one of only three Stanley Kubrick movies I haven't seen yet. I've pretty much loved all of his work from The Killing onward so I don't expect to hate it.