Question about a [particularly] strange scene

The famous 2000 film that put Christopher Nolan on the map tells the story of a man on the hunt for the man he thinks killed his wife.
At then end of the film, there is a "flashback" scene where Lenny is lying down with his wife, and you can see a tattoo over his heart (where he told Natalie he'd put a tattoo once he had killed John G.) that says something like "I did it". Just wondering what some interpretations of this scene were. I don't think it's meant to represent reality. It's probably just meant to be something from Lenny's mind or whatever, but i'm still interested to hear some ideas.

i think it was a fantasy by Lenard

You mean this?

Yea, he was thinking

that was it. thanks.

I think it shows he's in a very agitated state of mind, but also further confirmation that he's an unreliable narrator. Between his actions at the end of the movie and also evidence that he's been doctoring his papeerwork so he won't have to face or deal with certain facts, we knew this, but that "memory" of an incongruous tattoo also shows us that even on a subconscious level, his mind is deceitful.

well, maybe he was just fantasying. Or maybe he killed John G, his diabetic wife couldn't live with his condition and test him into killing her with the insulin, then he left the hospital, altered the police files and wrote lies in his body in order to begin a never-ending quest to avenge his wife from something that doesn't exists outside his own mind becoming a senseless self-righteous serial killer who deceives himself relating with the altered image of con-man Sammy Jenkis in order to protect his self-inflicted sense of justice.
That of course supposing that any conditioning he could have accomplished was only towards the lie he created within his own mind.

This is Natalie (his 2e love) who has finally convinced him he no longer needs to search for the burglar/rapist (he has done it). Because he's no longer a 'killer', the second Mental Hospital releases. Leonard moves in with Natalie, they have sex, he gets resetted and he kills her. It's day 7 in his 'live' (see my post 'The true chronological story of Memento')

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't this scene reveal that he actually killed the real John G while his wife was still alive? He only allowed himself to forget this (having the 'I've done it' tattoo removed) after her death.

Let me just throw something crazy in, im not saying this is what I think, I just love to spice it up:
Since Im one of the few who is convinced that Leonard killed his own wife the way Sammy did, (because Sammy is really Leonard - I don't want to list up all the evidence again)
This could be a scene from "heaven" - he has killed himself in the search for John G, so he has practically killed him self. They are now together in death.

Jonas Agersø wrote:Let me just throw something crazy in, im not saying this is what I think, I just love to spice it up:
Since Im one of the few who is convinced that Leonard killed his own wife the way Sammy did, (because Sammy is really Leonard - I don't want to list up all the evidence again)
This could be a scene from "heaven" - he has killed himself in the search for John G, so he has practically killed him self. They are now together in death.
Your are not alone my friend-im also conviced that Leonard killed his own wife by himself:)And your theory about this scene is interesting ;)