Question about Memento

The famous 2000 film that put Christopher Nolan on the map tells the story of a man on the hunt for the man he thinks killed his wife.
boxyloxydigi wrote:Just because he killed people called John G, doesn't mean a John G actually killed his wife.
If you watch the film several times.
It starts to make more sense that Leonard is in fact Sammy, and that he did kill his wife with an overdose.

Jonas Agersø wrote:
boxyloxydigi wrote:Just because he killed people called John G, doesn't mean a John G actually killed his wife.
If you watch the film several times.
It starts to make more sense that Leonard is in fact Sammy, and that he did kill his wife with an overdose.

i doubt it....i think its something Teddy tells him to save his own life. Leonard said he remembers everything prior to losing his short-term memory, but cant make new memories.

talli wrote:
Jonas Agersø wrote:If you watch the film several times.
i doubt it....i think its something Teddy tells him to save his own life. Leonard said he remembers everything prior to losing his short-term memory, but cant make new memories.
Actually if you look at the movie's website (which was written by Jonah Nolan), it pretty much clues you in that Sammy never existed and whatever Sammy went through, Leonard really did, especially with the insulin overdose. It says right out that Leonard was in a mental institution and concocted a way to give meaning to his life.

The early flash of the insulin syringe (before he starts talking about Sammy) as well as the later flash of Leonard in the mental institution is also information that the film itself gives you.

But back to where we were....just because Leonard has information that says a John G was involved in the original attack, doesn't mean that a John G actually did it. He's been planting and removing information as he sees fit. He's been lying to himself the entire time. That's the main tragedy of the film.

In the scene where you see Sammy ending up in the clinic, if you watch very closely you can see a hint to the eventual revelation at the 'end' of the movie. Near the end of the scene, someone walks past Sammy between him and the camera. As the person passes, just before the end of the scene, there is a very brief glimpse, in just two frames of film, of Leonard sitting in the chair in place of Sammy. Additional special features in the DVD version reveal that Leonard was placed in psychiatric care and kept journals to remind himself of information to remember. In one of his journals, he encouraged himself to "escape" from the institution.

Even if Lenny , at the end of the film, believes that he was in a mental institution, that doesn't mean it's true.

boxyloxydigi wrote:Even if Lenny , at the end of the film, believes that he was in a mental institution, that doesn't mean it's true.
Well, he talks himself out of that belief. Then you really start questioning what's true and what's not. :lol:

boxyloxydigi wrote:Even if Lenny , at the end of the film, believes that he was in a mental institution, that doesn't mean it's true.
True, But Iv never used Lenny as a reference, because I know that I shouldn't "believe his lies" :angel:

This is what I think of the movie. The whole point is for us to feel how Leonard feels, unsure of things, that's why we could never know if Teddy is telling the truth or a big fat lie, etc., etc.

dagn96 wrote:This is what I think of the movie. The whole point is for us to feel how Leonard feels, unsure of things, that's why we could never know if Teddy is telling the truth or a big fat lie, etc., etc.
Or only telling some of the truth, while still manipulating Lenny for his own desires.

Jonas Agersø wrote:In the scene where you see Sammy ending up in the clinic, if you watch very closely you can see a hint to the eventual revelation at the 'end' of the movie. Near the end of the scene, someone walks past Sammy between him and the camera. As the person passes, just before the end of the scene, there is a very brief glimpse, in just two frames of film, of Leonard sitting in the chair in place of Sammy. Additional special features in the DVD version reveal that Leonard was placed in psychiatric care and kept journals to remind himself of information to remember. In one of his journals, he encouraged himself to "escape" from the institution.

could you post a video of that?