Easily, my favourite film of all time

The famous 2000 film that put Christopher Nolan on the map tells the story of a man on the hunt for the man he thinks killed his wife.
On a local TV channel Memento is about to begin in 2 minutes. I am definitely going to watch it, but it's a shame that here in Hungary good films are only played at late hours. It's 12:30 AM here, but I'm not going to sleep. I'm gonna watch it :D

DHOPW42 wrote:On a local TV channel Memento is about to begin in 2 minutes. I am definitely going to watch it, but it's a shame that here in Hungary good films are only played at late hours. It's 12:30 AM here, but I'm not going to sleep. I'm gonna watch it :D
Is it your first viewing? I'd be interested to hear what you thought of it.

No, I saw it for the third time, but to be honest, the first time I saw it I didn't concentrate on it very well. It was many years ago and I didn't know about Christopher Nolan that time :D

This film is the reason why I want to be a filmmaker.
:)

Just like to the author of this thread this movie is my favorite film of all time
Amazing cinematography,unforgettable score,simple story told in the most unique way possible,great actors that deliver extraordinaire performances,mind blowing ending and much much more...
Altought Inception was incredible still Memento was better and I simply cant imagine how Nolan could top his masterpiece

The word "confusing" gets used on thsi forum quite a bit to discuss Memento, but I really don't think it's an accurate word. What's happening and the order in which things are laid out is very clear, it's just that each subsequent sequence is so revelatory that it's a little head-spinning, because the viewer (on the first pass) is often re-orienting himself or herself, much as Leonard is. But that's the point: The experience puts the viewer in leonard's shoes.

But "confusing" isn't really apt. "Confusing" would be: 'I don't get it. What's going on!?" while the initial reaction to Memento as it unfolds is more like, "I thought this was going on, but it's actually this!" -- and then that perception might change yet again a little further down the line.

It's not misleading and it's not misdirection or anything as cheap as that (like, say, the overhead shot of Norman Bates carrying his mother down the stairs is nearly a cheap bit. Nearly. Or how VAGUE SPOILER

the end of The Conversation is nearly spoiled because the inflection of the voice on the recording is definitely different than what Harryn has been arduously unmasking and replaying; he's a huge detail man, so this is a pretty big cheat).

END VAGUE SPOILER

No -- each unfolding scene is revelatory. Calling it "confusing" would be like a detective gilling a suspect, and, as he or she gets more and more pieces of information and starts seeing how they lock together, calls it "confusing." Not at all -- it's a fascinating process one follows to get the story.

Anyway, by all means, see it. It's one of the two perfect films so far, to my mind.

I personally find Memento's ending to be the most confusing ending of All-Time. It is very, very thoughtprovoking.

However, Inception is my Favorite Film of All-Time. I am a sucker for major Blockbuster/Adventure films, and Inception is that, and then it is Memento on top of that, what you get is Cinema's Crowning Achievement (imo).

I liked Memento, actually I loved it, but I love Nolan's TDK, and The Prestige, more than Memento.

BTW, I seperate Best, and Favorite. But even if I was discussing Nolan's Best Movies, I would put TDK #1, Inception #2, The Prestige and Memento at a tie for #3. So it is a great movie, and one of the Top 5 Movies I have ever seen, but not my Favorite.

Also, I must say, Pearce's work in this is simply my Favorite Performance ever by a lead actor, and my 2nd Favorite ever, behind Ledger's. Pearce is truly brilliant in this film. Ledger does have him beat, but Ledger's character had more range to him, which could have been a deciding factor (although Ledger did also nail the range, not an easy task at all).

The Silent Guardian wrote:Also, I must say, Pearce's work in this is simply my Favorite Performance ever by a lead actor, and my 2nd Favorite ever, behind Ledger's. Pearce is truly brilliant in this film. Ledger does have him beat, but Ledger's character had more range to him, which could have been a deciding factor (although Ledger did also nail the range, not an easy task at all).
Pearce's acting was flawless in this film :clap:

Yeah the film isn't really confusing just...well um engaging. It's one of the few films that I've see where you have to really participate in the film. Whats so great is that if you do pay attention the movie is very comprehensible. Nolan can make a trippy movie but also make a straightforward movie at the same time. You get the best of both worlds. Only filmmaker I can think of who can do this.
Say Girl